Gameday cancels...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUtigah, Sep 13, 2004.

1. LSUtigah

LSUtigah Founding Member

2. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

Prolly didn't wanna hurt USC's feelings by covering too much SEC dominance...

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

What are the chances of CBS not broadcasting the game? How long do they wait to make such a decision? How long does it take to setup a TV broadcast?

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

If they play the game, then CBS will televise it. I can see no situation where the weather would be good enough for a game to be played with 80,000 spectators but not good enough for TV cameras.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

How long does it take to setup? 2 days? I can't imagine them setting up in the middle of a hurricane on Thursday or Friday! :dis:

This is why ESPN Gameday cancelled...

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Game day as apre game shows gets the crowd exceitment in the backgroud and all that. I found it strange that they even considered doing something this weekend this close to the GoM. CBS on the other hand could just set up less camera but I bet they cover it.

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

If the game is played, CBS will cover it. The only reason CBS might not cover it, would be for insurance purposes (people/equipment). But you can bet AU will not field the game if the conditions were so dangerous a network couldn't set up and broadcast it.

I work in Art Depts and I can tell you it takes about 2 days to set everything up. However, it takes at least a week to get the equipment out there and go over the production plan. If the conditions seem to be too risky, then CBS has to worry about it's people and equipment and if they would be covered in such a event as a hurricane hitting a football game (where they had a choice to broadcast it or not).

8. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Don't forget that ND beating Michigan was a huge story in the rest of the country. If ND has a good season and makes a bcs bowl they after the title game will be the big story of the season. Even without Hurricane Ivan the gameday crew would have still switched to East Lansing.

ND-MSU is a rivalry game, Ty went to Michigan State and was offered the job after Nick left, but he turned it down--supposedly he didn't want Bobby Williams to lose the job and/or he didn't get offered enough money or he didn't want to leave Stanford before the Rose Bowl, but there is a history to the ND-MSU game (game of the century in 1966) and MSU does have the third most wins against ND after USC and Purdue.

Throw in the fact that MSU-ND is the prime time ESPN game this was a no-brainer for ESPN. Why would ESPN promote a game on a rival network unless they absolutely had too, with other big games this weekend, it wasn't much of a choice. ND still garners the ratings.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Ah, Michigan State...the team who got beaten at home by Rutgers.....what a great game to go too

10. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

The rutgers game was in New Jersey, back in the late 80s rutgers beat MSU in East Lansing.