Gameday not going to Bama

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Oct 29, 2009.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

AFA? You've got to be kidding me. Didn't ESPN learn its lesson from the fan backlash when they plunked down GameDay at the school where Herbie was calling the prime-time ABC game, so he wouldn't be inconvenienced?

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

From Bruce Feldman:

ESPN's Week-Long Salute to Veterans Day America's Heroes: A Salute to Our Veterans, November 4-11

ESPN will honor veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces with a week of programming -- America’s Heroes: A Salute to Our Veterans -- culminating in special SportsCenter editions from West Point on Veterans Day, Wednesday, Nov. 11.

Highlights include:

On Wednesday, Nov. 4, a special edition of Friday Night Fights from the Marine Corps Air Station New River in North Carolina.

On Saturday, Nov. 7, College GameDay will be on site from the Air Force Academy for Army vs Air Force.

On Sunday, Nov. 8, Sunday NFL Countdown will air the first television interview with Marie Tillman, widow of former NFL player Pat Tillman who was killed in Afghanistan. Tillman will also appear live on Monday Night Countdown from Denver before the Steelers-Broncos game on Nov. 9.

Also on Sunday, Nov. 8, Outside the Lines will broadcast live from Walter Reed Medical Center. In addition, former Dallas Cowboy and Navy veteran Roger Staubach will be the Sunday Conversation on SportsCenter.

On Monday, Nov. 9, Rocky Bleier, a 4-time Super Bowl champion with the Pittsburgh Steelers, discusses being injured in the Vietnam War and his return to the NFL on Monday Night Countdown. The tribute to America’s veterans continues with live shots from Iraq during Monday Night Football.

On Tuesday, Nov. 10, Mike and Mike in the Morning will be the first broadcast from the newly commissioned USS New York. The ship and its motto, "Never Forget," honor the victims and first responders of the 9/11 attacks.

Also, notable coaches Bill Parcells (former Army assistant coach), Bob Knight (former Army basketball coach) and Mike Krzyzewski (former Army basketball player and coach) will discuss the role that the military played in shaping their lives and careers on SportsCenter Nov. 11.

Other elements throughout the week include:

■Army Golf near Korea's DMZ (Outside the Lines)
    ■How sports are used by wounded warriors in the rehab process (Outside the Lines)
    ■Warrior Adventure Quest - extreme sports driven program that aims to help soldiers build team spirit and deal with combat related stress. (ESPN Deportes)
    ■Danielle Green-Byrd-Former Notre Dame basketball player injured in Iraq (SportsCenter)
    ■What if baseball legends like Ted Williams never went to war? (SportsCenter)
    ■Tim James - Former NBA player now serving in Iraq (NBA Countdown)
    ■President Barack Obama will salute troops and veterans with a taped message, along with some of the biggest names in sports, including LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady and Lance Armstrong.

America’s Heroes: A Salute to Our Veterans

Date
    Program & Time (ET)

Wed, Nov 4
    Special Edition of Friday Night Fights from the Marine Corps Air Station New River, N.C. (ESPN2, 8 p.m.)

Sat., Nov 7
    College GameDay from the Air Force Academy (ESPN, 10 a.m.)

Sun., Nov 8
    Outside the Lines from Walter Reed Army Medical Center (ESPN, 9 a.m,)

Mon., Nov 9
    Live shots from Iraq during Steelers-Broncos Monday Night Football game (ESPN, 830p.m.)

Tues., Nov 10
    Mike and Mike in the Morning from the USS New York (ESPN Radio and ESPN2, 6-10 a.m.)

Wed., Nov 11
    SportsCenter from the United States Military Academy at West Point starting at 9 a.m.

First Take from U.S. Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May, N.J. (ESPN2, 10 a.m. ? noon)

4. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Good. No extra publicity. Gotta find other ways to pay Saban's salary.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

which reminds me. rotc ceremony on the parade grounds on the morning of the la tech game (nov 14th).

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am really sorry that Veteran's Day gets in the way.

HalloweenRun
    USNA 1974
    Beat Army!

7. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Normally I would say this is idiotic, but since it's a week-long salute to veterans, I'm good with it. God knows they deserve some special attention.

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

So like, what are they going to miss? Preppy sweaters and houndstooth hats? I'd rather see them supporting the military.

1 person likes this.
  9. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

While I'm as big an LSU and college football fan as the next person, I don't have a problem with GameDay going to the AFA. Hopefully this is just a knee jerk reaction and not something that's actually got you miffed.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

+1

tho im gonna have to quit picking the black knights for my upset special in one of my pick ems. those that bites me in the ass every time.