Game's Over... Will they stay or Go?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Apr 1, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Big Baby did not go to camps last year. He could do that next year and then hire an agent next year, if he wanted to. But, honestly, I'm not sure if he will. Just given his mindset, what he's seen happen to Bass, and his head being screwed on straight, I think he realizes he has a lot to do in college still. I think the kid loses 15-20 more pounds in the offseason and works on his game, comes back next year and wins some more college accolades and makes a run at the lottery. He's going to do what Brandon Bass should have done.

As for Thomas, the Advocate alludes to Thomas return, although I'm not sure I'm going to buy it until late April...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/2563861.html

Asked about LSU’s journey to within a game of the national final this year, Thomas responded: “It was good. We made it to the Final Four, but that wasn’t our ultimate destination and we didn’t reach that. But, with the exception of Darrel (Mitchell), we have another shot at it next year.”

:geauxtige :bball: '06-07 LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

they'll stay, would you leave after a game like that?

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

as do I

4. kveille

kveille Founding Member

I think Thomas will leave, especially if he is projected to be a lottery pick. I would love to see him stay, but for a kid who wasn't highly recruited out of highschool last year and now has a chance to play in the NBA next year, he would be foolish to pass on the oportunity.

Next years team would be unreal if everyone decided to stay. We would definetly be considered a top 5 team at the beginning of the year. I just want to see these players do what is right for them and their future.

5. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I think that right there is exactly why he should stay in school.

6. kveille

kveille Founding Member

Yeah, I think staying in school will definitely help his game. I think he should come back to school if he drops below a top 10 pick. He is currently projected to be a top 5 pick according to a lot of NBA analysts. Why would you stay in school to try and better your position in the draft if you are projected to go this high? A top 5 pick means big money for this kid and if he spends it right he will be set for the rest of his life. I know it would be a tough decision, but I would take advantage of the opportunity. There is no telling what will happen next year. If he is projected past the first 10 picks then coming back to school will probably be in his best interest. NBA money is tough to pass up.

7. BostonBengal

I know it's a little bit different, but Brandon Bass, at one point, was considered a 1st-round pick....but look how that faired.... I know Thomas has more "fan fare" and is getting a lot more pub. than Bass did at this stage, but TT has already made mention that he is well aware of what these "analysts" are saying and that it (leaving school early) didn't pan out as well as Bass had hoped for.

...so we'll see...

8. BostonBengal

This last game against UCLA should have shown that he does have a lot of room to grow (as does every college player, naturally) but it's a case where TT needs to decide if he wants to improve his skills by logging 30+ minutes a game in college, or have to play sparingly as a rookie--or even worse, get sent to a developmental league...

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

That's pretty much how I feel. Sure, TT could be a top-5 pick in the draft. But that doesn't mean jack crap if he's not ready to play at that level. Being a high draft pick, as well all know, guarantees you asbolutely nothing in the league. As you noted, the only ways for him to develope are not particularly desirable, and could possibly hinder his progress. Personally, I think he needs to remain in an atmosphere where he will play abundantly and develope offensively before he goes against much stiffer competition. That sucker would be even more lethal if he had a mid-range jumper to go with his freakish ups.

10. BostonBengal

I mean, basketball isn't football in that BBall players don't risk the significant injuries that football players do. So for a B-Ball player to leave early, unless his family is in grave financial problems, really makes little since, IMO. After all, if the NBA "drafts on potential", then a player like TT will STILL have his physical attributes in 2-3 more years. I mean, it's not like he'll age 20 years over night and then all of a sudden not be able to jump anymore.

That's why I think it's best for TT to stay in college and work on his offensive game rather than leave for the pros now.