Gary Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Here's the deal. If you ain't a Tiger, you're Tiger Bait. He is now open to criticism...and there are valid criticisms to voice from his time here.

2. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

That's a reach and your point is not made. I can't fly a plane, but it won't take me long to spot a bad pilot.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Don't introduce logic into this argument. It is of no use.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

Off topic, but I don't think you can spot a bad pilot if you don't know how a plane is flown and how it works (unless you are in the cockpit and see the pilot lost). That's like saying I don't know anything about how a plane affects a building when it collides with it, but I can tell what hit the Pentagon wasn't a plane (which is a common theory based on 'pictures').

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

This thread has taken a ridiculous turn. Some people liked Fisher more or less than others. Some seem to like Crowton more. Our offense was more potent last year, after losing Fisher and 3 first round offensive draft picks. We did win SEC championships and a NC with Fisher, but there were times when our offenses seemed a bit vanilla or predictable under him. I admit to scratching my head at times while watching our offense under Jimbo, but I don't suggest he was a poor OC. I just feel more comfortable with Crowton today. It can also be argued that we were occasionally predictable under Crowton last year, like short yardage, give it to Hester situations. So if the shoe fits...

What is the big deal? If you like Fisher more than another guy, then compare the numbers, why be insulting? To suggest that you must be a qualified Div 1 coach before you can comment on the deficiencies of one is ridiculous. By that logic, nobody can suggest Ken Ley was a bad CEO of ENRON because they have not run a multi billion dollar energy company. It's a poor argument at best. This is an internet discussion board. If that were the case, nobody would be here, because I don't think any of us coach Div 1.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

When judging OC's it is not just play calls and x's and o's that should be looked at. It's how good is the guy at assembling the right players, the right personel for certain plays, how does he use the talent available, how good is he at developing QB's and likely most importantly how good is he at forming a great relationship and getting the other assistant coaches on the same page.

In my opinion, Jimbo's strengths as an OC might just be those things that many of us do not or cannot see, every staff he has been on seemed to look up to him. Saban and Miles gave him the entire offense, so they must have been impressed by his abilities. Bowden and FSU are giving him keys to the mansion so they must have been pretty impressed by him too.

Add to those his abilities as a recruiter and he becomes even more valuable. And though some of us knock him a lot, he did lead us to about 3 or 4 of our most prolific offensive seasons I believe.

1 person likes this.
  7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Maybe I should have dumbed it down a tad. Here's my point in using that analogy. When a plane crashes it could be from a myriad of causes, i.e., pilot error, hydraulic system failure, external causes, electrical, etc... You can't say that the plane crashed so the pilot must suck unless you are an aeronautical engineer with the qualifications to offer such an opinion. You can say "the pilot probably sucked" but you'd sound like an idiot.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The vast majority of aviation accidents are pilot error, but that's not the point here. The point is that your idea that only subject matter experts are allowed to hold a valid opinion is quite possibly the most retarded thing anyone on a message board has ever read. It's so ridiculous that I didn't even know how to respond and I am not usually a guy who is at a loss for words.

I am very smart and knowledgeable about many things that I am not paid to do for a living and I am sure that you are as well. I had hopes that you were simply having a bad day, but unless you are having a bad week it appears that you have a ****ty attitude everyday.

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

He's pretty consistent. :hihi:

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. I implied that even though you have an unfavorable impression of him as an OC, he would destroy you in a debate about offensive football. You agreed. My inital post directed at you was merely pointing out the humor in your post which criticized Jimbo unmercifully then added that it was not intended as a shot at him. I don't care who you are, but that's funny right there.

Tiga: I never have a bad day. I just try to inject reason where needed.:hihi: