Gary Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Sep 9, 2007.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Speaking of Jimbo Fisher, one thing I surprisingly forgot about was that he was the Div-2 college QB for HC Terry Bowden and (one season) OC Jeff Bowden, and when Terry Bowden switched schools to become HC at a Div-3 school, Fisher transferred to serve both HC Terry Bowden and OC Jeff Bowden as their QB in Div-3. When Fisher went into coaching, he joined Terry Bowden's coaching staff, and when Terry Bowden went to Auburn, Fisher followed him (at Auburn, Fisher's OC for five year was another Bowden -- Tommy Bowden). When Auburn HC Terry Bowden was replaced with Tuberville, Fisher left the program as well.

All in all, Fisher spent 12 years of his life serving Terry Bowden as his HC, 5 years of his life serving Tommy Bowden as his OC, and 2 years serving Jeff Bowden as his OC.

I never understood why, of all the people in football Bobby Bowden could have chosen to replace his son Jeff Bowden as his OC at FSU (and possible successor at HC at FSU), he choose Jimbo Fisher. But, like I said, I never put two-and-two together and remembered that Fisher loyally served three of Boddy Bowden's sons for 12 years, 5 years, and 2 years. I think a good part of Bobby Bowden's decision to hire Jimbo Fisher was because of how loyal Fisher has been to the Bowden family. Note that Bobby did hire his son Jeff Bowden to replace Mark Richt as the OC for FSU after Mark Richt went to Georgia (similar to how both Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier hired their sons to be their OCs at South Carolina). Also, this wasn't the first time a Bowden hired Fisher to replace Jeff Bowden at OC -- Jimbo Fisher's coaching career began when HC Terry Bowden hired him as his OC to replace Jeff Bowden (who had been Terry Bowden's OC for the previous four seasons at the time).

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree. Both had fumbles in previous games too. And we did throw the ball much more than people think, a couple of turnovers and missing out on 3rd and 4th and short yardage took the ball out of our hands on drives. We just didn't execute well that day, not only Dickson but the entire line had trouble blocking. I would have liked to see us open it up a little earlier maybe but that's a minor thing IMO. And I think when people have to keep going back to the same game over and over again to prove an OC was not a good play caller(which is also a small part of being an OC) than he must have had a bunch of very good games.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

FSU fans were ready to run Jeff out after lack of production - the Wake shut out at home was the nail in the coffin but Jeff was paid handsomely to walk. Matter of fact, he's still receiving 100K plus, annually.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

And yet their offense got worse...even with the reversal of the clock changes which made for more offensive possessions than Jeff's last year.

5. roynav

roynav free your mind

A final blast from the past and me lobbying for Herman over Fisher.

6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I couldn't say who is better. But Fisher is better than some forum members gave him credit for.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Hindsight is 20/20.

8. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

In 2006 Gary Crowtan was the Ducks OC,.. Oregon went 7-6,.. the wheels came off, completely off, the Ducks could not move the ball,.. BYU kicked our ass in the Las Vegas bowl, 38-8,.. Crowtan was useless,.. he left Oregon and went to LSU,.. We hired Chip Kelly and you guys were stuck with Gary POS Crowtan. I offer you my belated sympathies.

Go Ducks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    LSUTiga and GregLSU like this.
  9. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I was always a fan of Jimbo. I always wondered why he didn't get the gig at LSU instead of Miles. Of course I just heard the story this week that Saban told Skip, he wasn't ready.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Overrated.