Gary Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SonnyLoco, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

This pretty much says it all.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, you had it right before. The main problem, the giant problem, the overriding problem . . . is an inability to throw the football consistently. A quarterback problem. A new OC is still going to have to find a quarterback.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'll give you QB being the #1 problem, but play calling and game planning was a damn close second. A new OC could help with those. Crowton did nothing to help our QB's. They continued to run the same plays that they couldn't handle over and over. Time for fresh blood at QB and OC.

1 person likes this.
  4. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

just a question when does his contract expire? does anybody know.

5. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Here Here!!

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

While most of us agree with this statement, most of us would prefer a top 10 TEAM to a top anything offense. That is the big picture that most of us rejoice in, but you either can't or won't focus on anything but the negatives. Yes, we all agree the offense has underperformed for several seasons now, but they improved late this year for a few games there, and our TEAM overall succeeded! That is the difference - TEAM success. Our overall offensive talent was rated well coming out of HS, but certainly there is a chance that some were overrated (kinda like the Dallas Cowboys?) esp. at QB and WR, thus creating expectations by many of us that may have been unrealistic.

To be clear, I look forward to improving at the OC and QB positions in the offseason, and agree with you it will take some time to implement a new system and the QB to get a firm grasp of it. In the interim, I am rejoicing in our teams success and take heart that the offense can only get better, lol.

7. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I believe only to a certain extent. I am still holding judgement on Crowton. As to what he can call, including QB development, they are limited by the QB's physical and mental ability, as well as consistency. However, I do have questions about a lot of the coaches, not just Crowton, but also the O-line, wide receivers coach, etc.

Again, with the right complement of players and team chemistry, the offense can be potent....like the 2007 team under Matt Flynn with Crowton being the OC.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Flynn was developed by Jimbo. 2007 was a hybrid of Jimbo and Crowton's offense, with a veteran O-line and tons of seniors to run it. We have 2 QBs developed by Crowton who show flashes of potential but zero consistency after 3 years of development. Even with average or below-average QBs we should have seen at least steady offensive improvement in that time, and instead we have hit rock bottom and stayed there. And I'm supposed to believe that 2 LSU QB recruits are both simply busts and both don't have the tools to hack it in this league? I don't believe that.

Again, look at what Steve Spurrier, who does know how to run an offense, has been able to do with Stephen Garcia, who is every bit as mediocre a QB as Lee or Jefferson. And South Carolina has a fraction of the overall talent to work with that LSU does. For those still on the fence I'm at a loss to understand how much more proof you need that an OC change drastically needs to be made.

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

You'd think 3 years of continued downfall on offense would be the writing on the wall...

10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

In addition I would have like to have seen what Russell Sheppard would have done when they wanted some "Taylor Martinez" type QB running plays.