Gators have tough off-season program. Hope LSU does too.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Feb 19, 2005.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I've read stories about Marotti and his time under Davie. Let's just say he gets kind of creative with some of his training techniques. Some borderline brutal stuff, no question.

It'll be interesting to see how this sort of thing translates in the SEC. I'm sure Tommy Moffit's regimen is no walk in the park for our Tigers, but you have to think the risk of overtraining and wearing guys down is real.

Facing Air Force in mid-October, as Utah does, is a little easier on the body than running a 4-week gamut that includes an LSU, a Georgia, an Auburn. Also, the kind of corn-fed players recruited by Notre Dame traditionally are built and trained to play a different brand of football than what is played in the SEC; you have to strike a balance between building strength and increasing conditioning without sacrificing speed and endurance on the field over an 11 game season.

We'll see.

(PS-For the record, I think this Florida team will have its ups and downs, finish with at least 8 wins, and be LSU's toughest game next season.)

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I found this interesting article on Tommy Moffitt, printed last summer in the Reveille: Pump It Up
    :thumb:

3. BamaHeelBengal

BamaHeelBengal Founding Member

Wow Tejas, you nailed it!

I think the Gators will make believers out of most folks but the SEC isn't the MAC.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Remember, we've been VERY successful in Nick Saban's "4th Quarter" training program--which Moffit had a major hand in developing and running.

Don't let the hype of Meyer's new techniques baffle you....We've been doing for years what Meyers is attempting to bring to Florida. And unlike the Gators, we have years of success doing it.

5. BostonBengal

Also, I remember reading an article (either in SI or on ESPN) where they spoke about Moffit's training program, and how it was becoming a model for lots of other programs across the country.

It also emphasized that LSU was one of the few programs to not have the problem of "heat stroke" that other schools have and how impressive it was because of the climate that our players have to practice in (as opposed to schools like Northwestern, up in Illinois, having players die of heat-related problems).

6. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

Being in shape obviously wasn't a problem considering the amount of come-from-behind wins we had. We were probably better conditioned than most.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree, and he had said the previous fall that the LSU team was the best conditioned team he had ever been around, colege or NFL. They set the new standard. Last year's teams was in very good condition as evidenced by how many games we won in the fourth quarter, but the 2003 team took it to another level.

8. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

Sounds like Meyer is doing a Junction boys out at Florida. This Meyer, coupled with Saban leaving is not good at all. I hope the Miles-Meyer matchup does not become the DiNardo-Spurrier matchup. In the 90's they used to have the million dollar coach and we had Hallman/DiNardo etc. Then we generally got a better deal in the Saban-Zook matchup. Now back to their million dollar coach against our settlement for less.

Just wish Saban had taken the Chicago bears job and we got Meyer. Or Skip had the brains to see through the Louisville propoganda and hire Petrino, to match Meyer. A guy like Miles will never beat Meyer.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You remind me of a friend who always bought that pretty, shiny used car while I drove my old Volvo for over 200,00 miles. Never had a any trouble with that Volvo. His cars were in the shop constantly.

10. BostonBengal

Have you been living under a rock?! Or have your forgotten that Miles IS a million-dollar coach?! By definition, Miles $1.8 million dollar salary qualifies him as a million dollar coach.

Come off it, man. Miles is our coach. He hasn't even coached his first game for us yet.

And I guess you know enough about BOTH coaches to make the assumption that "a guy like Miles will never beat Meyer."

I guess a fan like you can never be diehard either...