Gators have tough off-season program. Hope LSU does too.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Feb 19, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

1. Curley Hallman was a "winner" at a school VERY similar to both Bowling Green and Utah, and look what happened.

2. Get off of the Petrino bandwagon. He turned us down. I don't care if you think Petrino is the sexiest man alive and wish to foster his love children--HE SAID NO!

3. "Thank God we do not have to play Petrino"??? You're an idiot if you think ONE coach makes all the difference. So I guess if Belichick coached the Saints next season, they would be Super Bowl champs?

4. Don't think a line is important? You could have ALL the skill position players in the world, but if you don't have a solid line, it doesn't matter how good your WR are. The QB wouldn't have time to throw to them. EVERY coach worth his weight will ALWAYS say that it all starts on the line.

Basically, you're a moron. You're pissed that the coach YOU wanted, either got hired on by someone else before we were even looking for a coach, OR declined to come here.

Take your antics and wrap them up in orange and blue and practice your gator chomp....Because NOTHING you've said, up to this point gives me ANY indication that you're even REMOTELY an LSU fan.

2. BostonBengal

Urban Meyer has had ONE year in the spotlight. Besides this past season, name me one other time in which Meyer was in the national spotlight and public eye?

How do you know that he "would have NOTHING to do with RP and his 'big mouth'"? DO you personally know of a situation in which Meyer would have nothing to do with a player like that? Because I KNOW FOR A FACT that his STARTING RUNNING BACK FROM THIS YEAR'S UTAH TEAM SPENT TIME IN JAIL. NO OTHER SCHOOLS WANTED TO RISK OFFERING THE GUY A SCHOLARSHIP. Meyer took him (the whole story aired before the Fiesta Bowl. They interviewed the player, etc.) And we're talking about a convicted fellon, not a loud-mouth Blue Chipper.

Get your head out of your butt before tossing around your bright ideas and thoughtful insight.

3. lctiger

lctiger Founding Member

The key to winning in the SEC is great defense. Spurrier is an exception, but even he had the most success when he had top notch defensive coordinators. In general the difference between the top conferences (BCS) and the mid-majors is in the numbers of quality players. You can be good on offense even with 8-9 quality starters because you call the plays and can use your strengths. On defense you have to be solid with all 11 because if not your weakness will get exploited. I was impressed with Utah this year, but Urban will soon see that quality SEC defenses are solid at all positions and have depth at all positions. I'll hold judgement until SEC action begins.

4. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

If Meyer won in Utah with fellons, I can wonder what he will do with the Gators. I think its not good news that he can win with fellons. You prove my point.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually much of axd's post is not far from the truth. Urban is one of the excellent minds in college and he has proven to be able to implement his system regardless the talent and adapt. I felt Miles was a notch below Meyer which the jury is still out.

However, to say one is better than the other for LSU or Florida is a tad premature. Much less to say one will always dominate the other. that's where the argument loses and credibility.

Petrino is the 2nd best offensive mind behind Meyer? What about Spurrier? he's now 3rd? :hihi: :hihi:

Curley Hallman was a winner? I dont think anyone ever put Hallman in the same class as Meyer is currently regarded. Maybe the LSU administration led you to believe that. I didn't.

Petrino didnt turn us down. He was dropped from consideration on character issues and a terrible interview.

6. BostonBengal

C'mon, Tirk. Wake up.

Far starters, Hallman was 10-2 in '88 at USM and had some other solid seasons. So, dispite what you THINK the LSU propaganda about Hallman was, the fact that he came to LSU as a coach who took a mid-major program, and developed it to higher standards, puts Hallman, at that time, in the same classification as some of the other "flavor-of-the-month" up-and-coming coaches we see around today.

He definately didn't achieve his status with the flair and excitement of Petrino or Meyer, but to say that Petrinio and Meyer are far and above, WAY better than Miles is absurd.

The thing that annoys me about this whole little topic is that we get one yahoo fall off the bannanna boat, and come in thinking that coach 'X' is far superior to coach 'Y' and because of that Florida will whipe the field with LSU is about as assanine as they come. Do I think Meyer is talented? Yes. Do I think that because Miles is a former offensive lineman, it must mean that he can't recruit or coach skill position players, or come up with an offensive gameplan to put up good numbers? NOT A CHANCE.

I don't know about you, Tirk, but keep believing the garbage spewed by axd or whatever the heck his name is, about Meyer being head-and-shoulders better than Miles, and you'll end up in the looney bin. If you need to be reminded: Miles' OSU team, with RaShaun Woods and Tatum Bell two years ago, was tearing up defenses and amassing some rather lofty offensive yardage totals.

The think that kept Miles from winning more games than what he has is that he never had the defense to go along with his offense. He's got defense now.

As far as I'm concerend, Meyers can suck and egg. I found a new-found hatred for Florida that I never thought I could ever reach. I'm so sick and tired of hearing a bunch of crybabies pout and whine about "waaaah waaah...WE should have hired Meyers. *sniff* *sniff*" that I'm at the point were beating the Gators this coming year won't be good enough--I want to DESTROY the Gators and laugh in the face of every "Wish-we-had-Meyer" Tiger fan.

7. tirk

i suggest you read my post again.

8. BostonBengal

I was DISPROVING your stance that Meyers wouldn't put up with players such as RP because the fact is that he puts up with worse.

If you're such a Meyers fan, and a Petrino fan and Miles isn't good enough for you: Hit the road, Jack and like I said before, go buy you some blue and orange clothing or become a redbird.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And don't you come back no mo, no mo...

10. tirk

ok let me help you with your reading comprehension this one time.

i said I FELT MEYER was a notch above Petrino.... but the jury is still out. I still feel this way. Actually, Im more impressed with the staff Miles has assembled which is half the battle.

I also said to say one is better than the other is premature meaning its pure speculation and simply how i felt.

my reply to axd's comment of petrino being the 2nd best offensive mind was to point out that Spurrier must somehow be 3rd now. spurrier jr is now ahead the genius himself.

anyone who rightfully thinks Hallman was regarded/respected in the same light as Meyer amongst the coaching community is must really be naive. there are plenty of coaches who are successful at non major programs but very few truly earn that respect. Meyer and Miles are both more highly regarded in this aspect.

just because a coach wins x amount of games doesnt make me respect him as a coach. What I see on the field with my own eyes helps me base my opinion which I am entitled.

Not sure where you put words in my mouth that I do not like Miles. You should really work on your comprehension skills.