GDF.....what gives man?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by uscvball, Nov 21, 2013.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I am going to guess you were listening to furd fans who were in the minority. That said, for Pac12 schools, the Rose Bowl IS the shizz if you aren't contending for the NC. There's a reason it's called the Granddaddy of all Bowl games. Goal #1 at the beginning of the season is win the conference. Traditionally that means you play in the Rose Bowl. If it ends up meaning you play in the NCG as in 2005, 2006 and 2011 then even better.

Furdies are smart. I'm sure they would pick the NCG over the Rose Bowl but the Rose Bowl is pretty freakin special.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

They were acting like they would have preferred the Rose OVER the NC game. Last time I checked the crystal ball trumps everything else. Except, of course, an AP NC trophy.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Clearly I don't know who "they" were but I can promise you they were the exception rather than the rule. And of course everyone wants the NC. But like I said, only 2 teams can vie and if the Pac12 champion isn't undefeated, we aren't playing for crystal. We are playing for the Rose Bowl and it's a damn fine game and experience. Historically it has huge significance for Pac teams and I knew GDF would understand.

AP Trophy? Don't try so hard.

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

You gotta admit, Vball, that's pretty funny chit right there.

uscvball likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Extra freakin special. In 2011 PAC Champ Oregon went to the NCG, the biggest deal ever for Duck fans. There was a down side though, the game was scheduled ten days after New Year's,.. by then, most people I knew were well past college football and considered the season over, which made the outcome of the big game seem sorta irrelevant. While we waited, everyone else was having fun.

Going to the NCG instead of the Rose Bowl was special and exciting, but disappointing too,.. kinda like,.. meeting the President, but missing your birthday party.

Playing for the Roses on New Year's Day is very hard to top.

Everyone, have a yummy Thanksgiving

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    uscvball likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

In the words of Lee Corso, not so fast my friend. Didn't some of the USC players feel kinda the same the year you had to face Penn State in the Rose instead of the BCSNC?

Which is essentially the problem here, the BCS has led the Championship game to have stolen the thunder from "other bowls". You jus mad cause Duck cheerleaders > Song girls. :D

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I laughed for .02 of a second. It might have been funnier a few years ago but today, it's not so great. Had he gone with a sanction related attempt, I would have found that funnier.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I do not recall similar comments and couldn't find any. What I think you might remember is USC players expressing disappointment at not being selected for the NCG based on a "weak" schedule. And any frustration would have been expressed AFTER we were selected for the Rose Bowl, not a presumption at going before the regular season had been completed. Seriously though, I would be interested to read any comments from USC players suggesting that the Rose Bowl was a sub-par game.

The landscape has definitely changed. I admit to being disappointed with the move away from the traditional Bowl games. It's like GDF said....once the other games have been played, it almost feels like a let down. I really used to look forward to New Year's Day as THE day for college football. When the season is extended for a couple more weeks? Not so much.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Maybe that was it.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

You mean how sanctions have kept you out of any championships for a while?
    The perfect comment would have referenced the Kiffin hire.
    The next upshot will be the Orgeron hire. Good luck with dude.