George Bush on illegal warrantless wiretapping

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Aug 22, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That makes it much clearer. :grin:

2. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Sounds like he's got a tool fetish. :hihi:

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I'll translate:

"All these ex-hippie lib's jump for f'en joy when they take away the tools to fight terrorism but they'll be the first commie SOB's to whine when another attack happens."

How's that?

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Crystal clear. Rep points for you.:thumb:

5. red55

Gawd, you're an even dimmer bulb than Bush. Schoolyard name calling is all you've got. :lol:

Nobody took away a single "tool". They just said he has to follow the law and respect the Constitution like he was elected to do. The federal intelligence act allows the President to wiretap any suspected terrorist he wants to, he just has to get a warrant, and he can even do so retroactively after he's already tapped the phone. Intelligence warrants have been issued with a 99 percent approval rate.

Bush is just trying to avoid Judicial and Congressional oversight (Constitutionally illegal). Why? The only reason to do this is because he doesn't want congress or the courts know who else he is tapping. Perhaps because he is doing some political espionage along with his War on Terra. There are still some covert CIA agents he can reveal to the enemy.

It is dangerous to give this President any authority you wouldn't like to see a Hillary Clinton administration exercising. Did you think about that? :grin:

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Blah, blah, blah.....f'en blah. My translation is accurate and still stands up against "the f'en ex-hippie libs." I didn't say it.....Bush did. I just translated.

And yes, Hillary can wire tap terrorists calling people in this country. Fine by me.

7. SabanFan

It's that other 1% that worries me. They're out there, Red. I'd be willing to suspend the damn constitution if that's what it took to flush those bastards out.

A Hillary Clinton Administration is not even a remote possibility, so no use in worrying about that.

8. SabanFan

That's BS. You act like one thing will lead to another and before we know it, storm troopers will be searching our house for political manifestos. We are at war with a silent, invisible enemy. This calls for surveillance methods which may tiptoe the personal freedoms line. So what? It has to be done. The one thing I can't understand about all of the high pitched howling from civil libertarians is that if you're not doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about? This is not political. It's survival.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

There are far too many people on here that fall back on name calling. The fortune cookie I got with my Garlic Chicken with Chinese vegetables said, "Ideas are like children, none are so wonderful as your own." I think that applies here.

I think the government should have powers that the people don't know about, because there are too many ignorant people out there that think they know something. On the other hand, I think they should be limited and the constitution shouldn't be tramples because we are in a "war."

Also, I don't like the way we have a "War on Terror." This "war" has been going on forever and will never end. Calling it a war desensitizes us to the word and is just another example of the Bush administration abusing a word and manipulating the American psyche. The same goes for today's news.

How many of you have seen Network? Why We Fight? Darwin's Nightmare? One classic film and two very interesting documentaries, respectively.

10. red55

You see, I think that 1% are honest citizens who should not have been suspects and the checks-and-balances did their job to protect them from over-zealous spying. Nobody is perfect and the intelligence guys sometimes get it wrong or confuse their biases and politics with their mission. The judges and the congress an keep them on the right track to the benefit of everyone by just following the law.