George Bush on illegal warrantless wiretapping

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Aug 22, 2006.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

That is a bunch of spin and you know it. The warrants can be obtained retroactively, or in layman's terms after the tap. The White House doesn't want to have to obtain warrants, and that is worrisome.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

It won't happen. Not only do I believe that all democrats voted in that poll (which shows that the democrats are in bad shap if a quater of them support rice), it shows all women canidates which will not happen.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Uhhh, that is just the first poll listed. Scroll down to see the rest of them.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That is just it. He doesn't have to wait for a warrant! He can tap any phone at any time and get the warrants retroactively. The intelligence act was set up to give the president huge authority, and the Executive branch agreed to it. But now he wants no oversight whatsoever. He wants no records for history. He wants nobody in government outside of his direct control to know anything. This law does NOT hinder the wiretapping of terrorists, it actually legalizes it making eventual prosecution possible. So what does he have to hide?

This "find a judge for a warrant" business is a smokescreen. Warrants have been issued fast and in quantity and can be gotten after the act (which is already a huge consesssion to executive authority). Who is being naive here? Blind hero worship of George Bush is clouding [unnamed conservatives] judgement. :wink:

The President does not have the right to make laws. This is exclusively the right of Congress. The intelligence act is a law and the President can either go to Congress and get the law changed or he can get warrants according to the law. If he does neither he is breaking the law. It's very simple.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well, obviously, what happened in the past doesn't work. What Bush haters cannot get through their thick skulls is that Bush is motivated by what's best for the safety of Americans, not what's best for George Bush. Until you reach that basic understanding, you will never get it. So, bash away at him. Personally, I'm thankful that he's in charge.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Again, how can you get a warrant before the calls occur? Of course the warrant is after the fact. So in your world, we'd have to wait for the terrorists to blow something up first, then issue warrants and find out who did it.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

and with wiretaps you are getting the luxury of not having terrorists blow up something important.

maybe, but like sabanfan says, we are at war, and we need to tough it out, maybe make a sacrifice here or there.

i agree with that, and i realize what a truly rare thing this is for a politician. i think bush's motives are completely sincere and he is protecting us.

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

No one can accuse Bush of being a great speaker. God how I miss Reagan.

9. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Everyday my man.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I suggest you look up the word retroactive. The retroactiveness refers to the tap not the terrorist attack.