George Edwards - DC (per WBRZ)?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ponchy Tiger, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Ponchy Tiger

Ponchy Tiger Founding Member

Last night on the 6 and 10 news, Channel 2 was reporting George Edwards, former Browns' DC had at least interviewed for the job (at 6 it sounded as if they said he would be given the job). Here is his bio from the Cleveland Browns' web page. He was DC at the Redskins in '03 and has extensive NFL experience.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches.php?id=24

2. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

this would be a good get for Miles. Is anyone else concerned about recruiting - I know the assistant coached for LSU did huge amounts of recruiting work for Saban - what is happening now? Does Miles do all the work himself because the class size is so low? Anyone know what's going on? A week is a long time at the tail end of recruiting. They sign up on Feb 2, right?

Looking over Dandy's recruit list, I was a bit surprised at the number of out-of-state schools LA kids are committed to - seems much more that it used to be under Saban. Perriloux, a kid going to Bama, one to Tenn, one to Auburn - WTF? Miles needs to start doing some fence work. I know it's not over, but Les needs to get the coaching staff down here and get them to work!!!

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Unless my mental timeline is off, that means he's both coached (Redskins, 2003 and UF grad asst., 1991) and played for (Duke) SOS.

That's good.

I guess.

Anyways, he's young and apparently experienced. Possibly decided he wanted to be a HC and figured, given the ways of the NFL, the best way to do that was to excel on the collegiate level as a coordinator and move up that way.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I am not concerned about recruiting. It's the dead period, so not much is going on this week. This gives Miles an opportunity to put his staff together this week before the recruiting madness begins next week.

To my knowledge, we have not lost any of our current commitments. I'm not sure why you are worried about those Louisiana kids going elsewhere ... how many of them were being recruited by Saban?

I am not counting on this being a banner recruiting year b/c of the coaching change. A top 20 finish would be good ... and signing Perrilloux would make it a solid class.

5. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

i thought dead period ended the weekend after the Orange Bowl? That's why LSU moved so quick to hire a coach, right?

As far as Saban not recruiting those kids - do you know that as fact, or should we assume they are not going to LSU because they think their opportunities are better elsewhere? I have not seen a DD top 25 list with more out-of-state SEC schools listed as committments since the Dinardo days.

Maybe there is a reason for it (I thought we only had 14 or 15 schollys to offer) - I'd just like to know fer sure. I would hate for LSU to rest on its laurels, even for one year. ANother thing - I hate watching football games and seeing other teams' star athletes with LA hometowns. That kills me. Those days have been rare under Saban, thankfully. Hoping equally rare under Les.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

This is the dead period? I thought that was between xmas and new years. I dont think this is the dead period but Im not 100% sure.

I am somewhat concerned about recruiting but realize we only have a few slots this year so anything in the top 20 is going to be about as good as we can do just because of the numbers. However, having the coaching staff in place needs to be done because we still have schollys that need to be given out. The longer this goes on the less likely we will fill those spots with grade A talent and may have to go down the ladder a bit to fill the class. In the meantime everyone else is out there recruiting with a full staff.

7. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

There is another dead period right now for the national coaching conference.

8. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

Dead period is ended the day they hired Miles.

Don't sweat the fact that there is not much news. Miles himself said in his intro that no one will be announced until he completes his staff, then he will announce the staff all at once when it is officially done.

For all we know, he may be 99% finished and the announcment could come any day.

9. TigerWins

I may be wrong, but I thought there was still some restrictions about contacting recruits. Not sure of the date, but I want to say until Jan 12th ... tomorrow?

Hell, I may have dreamed this up...

10. TigerWins

Ok, here's the dates from the NCAA...

Jan 9, 14, 15 - quiet period
    Jan 10, 11, 12, 13 - dead period

Quiet period definition ... permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the member institution's campus.