Georgia Tech baseball = Notre Dame football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, May 31, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I'm dismayed at the Yellow Jackets #2 national seeding. Once again the NCAA has bestowed Georgia Tech a national seeding over the likes of Texas, CS-Fulleton, Baylor, and Florida. This annual overrating is going to lead to yet more egg on the faces of those doing the seeding. How can this team have a higher ranking than Florida, which came from a league where all NINE entries have seeds of #1 or #2? This is beyond the love affair with the ACC, this is sleeping with boss stuff. Tech, #2? Incredible! They are the Notre Dame football of baseball.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

They are ranked # 2 in the RPI, so I have no problem with it. The RPI system is blind to conference affiliation. The ACC has 4 teams in the top 8 RPI, so you had to give one of them a national seed.

The bigger question is why Nebraska was given a #3 national seed when they have an RPI of 18.

3. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Because they won the Big 12 which is a pretty tough conference. I think you should get rewarded with a top 8 if you win a major conference.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

But yet Florida wins the toughest conference and is rewarded with a 7 seed. Ole Miss doesn't win anything, but yet they are the 5 seed.

Doesn't add up...

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I have seen the Jackets play 8 or 9 times. They are really good. They could win it all in Omaha.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TigerWins again. :)

I agree with you. Nebraska, and this is strictly my opinion, got their seeding due to their location (sounds lame, I know, but I think the selection committee is trying to "pump up" the Omaha faithful).

I think they got the home-town discount. They're good, but not #3 good.

7. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

To me it doesnt matter what number you are as long as your a national seed. I mean Tulane is the number 1 overall and they have a tough regional. Not only that, if they win they'll have to prolly play LSU. I think just being a national seed is pretty damn good. Again, this is coming from a guy whose strong point isnt college baseball.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Until GT does win it all, they need to be banished to the middle of the pack. Just like ND, with their killer schedule, Tech has the power numbers, but they also have a serious case of choke. Based on their past showings, I fully expect South Carolina to emerge from that regional.

9. HonoraryCoonass

HonoraryCoonass Freshman

I live in Atlanta and have also noticed the "experts'" annual preseason love affair with Georgia Tech. They consistantly rank them top 5 each preseason, a few times #1, and the Jackets always come up short at tournament time.

10. LSUDAN

LSUDAN Founding Member

What year was it when LSU put up 26+/- runs on Georgia Tech in a regional game?