German Wings plane crash

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Mar 25, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Is the media getting it wrong then?
    "Airlines in Europe are not required to have two people in the cockpit at all times, unlike the standard U.S. operating procedure after the 9/11 attacks changed to require a flight attendant to take the spot of a briefly departing pilot"
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...-to-destroy-the-plane/ar-AAa1d9O?ocid=DELLDHP

"In the United States, a flight attendant is supposed to remain in the cockpit with a pilot if one pilot leaves briefly for food or the lavatory. The Air Line Pilots Association issued a statement saying "every airline in the United States has procedures designed to ensure that there is never a situation where a pilot is left alone in the cockpit."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/26/cockpit-locks-pilots-airbus/70481560/

"Europe's third largest budget airline, Norwegian Air Shuttle, says it has ordered new flight regulations that say two crew members must always be present in the cockpit of a flying aircraft.

Norwegian spokeswoman Charlotte Holmbergh-Jacobsson says the new rules will be adopted "as soon as possible" on all commercial flights globally. She says the decision was taken after details emerged that the co-pilot of the Germanwings Flight 9525 that crashed in France on Tuesday had apparently locked himself in the cockpit. The disaster killed 150 people.

Other airlines, including Finnish national carrier Finnair, already stipulate that there must always be two crew members in the cockpit of a flying aircraft"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is a serious security breach after 9/11. You can't have crew with a key to the door or a keycode. That will just subject them to torture by future terrorists to gain cockpit access.

Nothing is foolproof, but she could call for help, hit a panic button, unlock the door, delay and impede the sabotage and in some cases even kick his ass. Not all attendants are female and smaller does not always mean helpless.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is being reported authoritatively by many outlets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/26/cockpit-locks-pilots-airbus/70481560/

I have no doubt that it is ignored, but it does seem to be policy. It bet it ain't being ignored much today. Passengers are going to be watching that door like hawks.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So did they crash on purpose? Was it one of them isis bastards?

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

NO ISIS Connection....yet.

On a positive note, and not trying to be funny, sounds like the bad guys can't get in the cockpit, either.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Apparently one did.

7. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Checks and balances, bottom line is no one should be left in the cockpit alone. I can think of nothing scarier than hearing a pilot banging on the cockpit door trying to get back in while the plane is going down, nightmare city!

8. shane0911

Right, that was a hint of sarcasm, but seriously, was this an act of terror or some idiot not knowing how to fly a plane?

I have actually seen how they fly on auto pilot (prior to 9/11) and it aint that hard. Hell they all had their shoes off with their feet propped up reading magazines. So that tells me that this dude intentionally took the dive. Right?

9. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Yep, as of now it looks like he did it on purpose......reports I've seen are he suffered from depression a few years back, but there hasn't been any link to Islamic extremist yet nor the the peaceful one's, mainly because they don't exist. ;)

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

Thats about what I expected. I have been too busy to follow any of this stuff and it is much easier to work with music playing rather than news.

100% correct but of course you knew this already. Too bad the meanest hombre this side of the pecos has such a soft spot in his heart for the bastards.

tigerchick46 likes this.