Get a Glock, Get a Glock,

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Look at the compact M&P as well before purchasing. The Shield is single stack, which gives it a slimmer profile, but it may not feel good in your hands being so slim. I didn't like it, but the compact is double stack, and much more comfortable in my hand. It's compact like the Shield, but not so damn skinny. Of course, skinny is easy to conceal, but with the right holster, you can conceal the full size .45 even on my frame, with just a T-shirt on. B'lee dat.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Review of the M&P Shield 9mm vs M&P Compact 9mm

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Okay, after viewing the video, here's the highlights to ME.

More than once near the end of the video, the guy stated the Shield might be a good choice for a woman, so there's that. I think it would be nice in your purse, Tiga.

Main issue with me as stated was that it's single stack. That means smaller grip, and the backstraps are permanent. Can't change them out to fit your hand. That, and you're VERY limited with capacity. 7 rd mag vs 12 rd with the compact. And you can even get 17 rd with the compact with the extended mag. Funny, the extended mag on the Shield actually makes the gun BIGGER than the compact with the extended mag...but again, far less capacity.

Thumb safety on the Shield...can't get it without it. I don't like it, so the Shield would be out for me. But if you want a thumb safety, you could get either. You can get the compact with or without a thumb safety.

The Shield is less than a half inch shorter than the compact, but is actually taller. It is a good bit thinner though. It's less than an inch wide. I have an old Colt 1903 .32 cal that I hate shooting because of how thin it is. I'm just not as accurate with a thin grip on a pistol.

I may have talked myself into my next purchase being a Smith M&P 9c. :)

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I have a glock 23 .40'
    A s&w 9mm
    And a beretta storm p4 sub compact .40 as my concealed carry

Love the beretta and the glock 23 .40 is my favorite....

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Which S&W do you have? ( I know 9mm. but is it a Sigma, an M&P, what?)

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Fish, thanks for this and the other good info you posted. I have been without internet at the house and didn't see this or would've responded sooner.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Kimber Ultra Carry .45, absolutely love it.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

just use foil the next time.

LSUTiga likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You can take the boy out of the ghetto...

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

smart move. you've seen my targets. not perfect by a long shot (pun intended), but even you stated "dead". on my small frame it is hard to conceal unless i have on a sweater, jacket or loose top. that is why i have a purse i specifically bought because it fits in a separate compartment in it. not ideal, but i can still keep it on me.

my concern with my 6 shot .38, even when i do get my hands stronger again, is just that. 6 shots. so many home invasions involve more than one criminal. in a town about 20-30 miles east of here, a home invasion was stopped just a few days ago by a homeowner with a gun. the news stated "at least two of the suspects were shot". at least two? how the fuck many were there? i know i am never going to be bond, tho i am practicing enough to be cast as the next bond girl. with multiple criminals on a home invasion, there are examples every day where all 17 shots are gonna need to count. tho to be honest, in my case it will be 15 shots. i keep the magazines at 15 instead of all 17 to keep a bit of pressure off the spring. and 15 is a nice round number to remember.

i bought another glock 17 this past weekend, this one a gen 3. any 9mm is getting hard to find and we have been looking or three weeks for another 17. my husband really liked mine so i got a second one. i have one that stays with me, and this one will likely stay in his office or side of the bed. if our home is broken into and i am closer to his gun than mine, standardization is the key for training in our case.

i wouldnt mind a baby glock, just for cc when i am dressed in a way there is no way to conceal the 17. but i know at this point, my hands would not handle the recoil.

what fish calls ugly ass gun will handle dirty ammo better than most. and at the way prices are rising on 9mm, that is a good thing. just a few weeks ago before every online site started running out of decent 9mm, federal 124 gr. fmj was something like $14.00 a box (no more than $15) everywhere. today i saw it back in stock on a website and the price had jumped to $21.75. for a box of 50 fmj, that is insane. if this hysteria and political crap that is driving up prices continues, having a gun that will handle cheap and dirty is gonna be a plus until things settle down.