Get a Glock, Get a Glock,

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Nov 21, 2012.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

add to the foul mood on lack of supplies to be found....

greenie and i were going to go target practice tomorrow. been planning all week to spend the afternoon together with me doing some speed drills, him breaking in his new glock (and me getting to check it out), plus me getting to break in the new 20 gauge i have been wanting for a while and finally sprung for. and wouldnt you know it, the weather forcast changed from what it was just a couple of days ago. was supposed to be in the 60's and nice. now it will be in the mid 30's, windchill mid 20's, and drizzle. considering it is an outdoor range.... sorry, gonna have to wait. not real thrilled with that change of plans.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

At least you have friends to give you a wake up call when they find ammo online for you. :)

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Ain't nothing wrong with it. It's brass cased bullets, just like Winchester, Federal, AE, etc...

Tullamo is steel cased. And even that's fine, you just gotta make sure you clean your pistol after using, which you should anyway.

4. OkieTigerTK

this is true! and what i got a call on this morning must have just hit because i was looking at that site yesterday and nothing. lets say my ups drive is gonna hear a LOT of familiar rattles in a couple of boxes.

and on the ppu brand, i couldnt find where it said brass casing. i did read a lot of reviews that mentioned a fairly high rate of misfires because of crimping on the rims. some decent reviews of good for just target ammo, but to read so many say they had boxes with multiple rounds of crimped rims that caused misfires made me wary. hopefully whatever problem that was in production was worked out.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Did I tell you it was 77 here today? :)

6. OkieTigerTK

low blow.

i need to win the lotto so i can say screw work, and spend my days on either a driving range or shooting range. hell, just buy one of each. or build my own, right next to each other.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I suppose that might be a consideration in a home defense situation where the size and weight of the pistol doesn't matter. I have a couple of shotguns for home defense and that is the weapon of choice for me when dealing with multiple intruders.

The reason I favor a small automatic pistol with 7 rounds is so that I can carry it in my pocket. I really don't worry about having to defend my home much. Most intruders make sure you ain't home before they break in. I worry more about being accosted away from home. When I walk through my own woods I have encountered armed poachers. Robberies in National Forest campsites is up across the country. I am suspicious of people hanging around highway rest areas late at night. There are a dozen places in Baton Rouge that I don't feel comfortable without being armed. A friend of mine owns some warehouses where I store things and it's in a very bad neighborhood. We both had to run off some local "chilrens" at gun point once because they were not intimidated at all by threats.

A gun can't help you if you don't have it with you, so I favor a small pistol that I can carry anywhere. I know from experience that I can't carry my 357 magnum around unless its in its holster in plain view (which is how I walk my woods now) and I suspect I can't carry a big Glock in most circumstances. But my little pistol is easy to carry and if I'm worried that I might need more than 7 shots, then I carry a couple of extra magazines in the other pocket.

8. OkieTigerTK

i need to practice with my shotgun before i would feel confident in using it for home defense. i grew up shooting skeet with daddy's 20 gauge. i had been wanting to get one and just never got around to it. i bought a 20 gauge pump action 7 shot a couple of weeks ago. it is a remington like what i grew up shooting. if any burglar has half a brain tho, he will be turning around just at the sound of the pump action.

i travel alone so much i have carried a gun in my vehicle for years. first was my 38, then after all the hand surgeries, a .22 seven shot pistol with an extra magazine that would stay loaded beside it. (i got my ccl when oklahoma first passed the law.) i know that a 22 wont stop a lot of people, but it was better than nothing. (it is also easy to conceal.) i have a few friends that are cops and they kept telling me i had to upgrade from the 22. they were worried about me traveling alone so much with what they considered inadequate means of self defense. so i upgraded to the 9mm which is the best fit for me. a baby glock would conceal easier, but at this point my hands wont handle the recoil of one. i travel a lot of rural back roads and i would be a sitting duck should something happen. i am more concerned about those trips and having something reliable in the seat beside me or under a light weight jacket or loose blouse during warm weather, than i am just out and about here.

as far as any kind of defense no gun is useful without a shitload of practice and training in ways that will teach you to shoot in a real situation. people that think they can go to a range, focus on their target, and take 5-10 seconds between shots, and then go home and be trained to shoot in self defense irritate the snot out of me. a criminal is not gonna let you say "wait, stand still, i need to focus and line up my shot". i am fortunate to have a private range where i can practice appropriately.

and while i am bitching about true self defense, the new glock commercial (glock blocked) may be cute and is made to give anti-gun people warm fuzzies about a gun for self-defense without actually firing it, but it is something else that irritates the snot out of me. if you havent seen it, the bad guy breaks in, and hot young single woman points a glock at him, he freezes a few seconds then passes out, only to not wake up till he is securely restrained and in police custody. give me a fucking break! that commercial pisses me off because between the time the door is kicked in and bad guy passes out, sweet thing with her glock has lost 3, maybe 4, shots! a soon as that door is down and you see the sonofabitch, shoot his freaking ass! if he hasnt frozen and passed out, by that time he can be half way across a room and to you and your gun! pisses me off to no end at the wasted time and shots the sweet little airhead has lost! ok, end of rant. but i absolutely hate that commercial!

edit: i looked it up and the title is "somebody picked the wrong girl". but still stupid as hell. if she isnt gonna fire that motherfucker she doesnt need to have it!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The most fun I ever had target shooting was in an old gravel pit in Livingston. Someone had dumped an old washing machine there that we set cans and bottles on when shooting rifles and pistols. Then we started with the shotguns and it was a hoot riddling that washing machine with buckshot. Shooting from different distances gave me a really good idea of the shot spread and velocity drop off with distance.

10. OkieTigerTK

never mind. spent some time with her today. like riding a bike.

havent used a shotgun since i was in my late teens. just need to work on speed. :D