Getting FB Tickets

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by kjim, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

No worries, glad to help.

Locals mostly bring coolers and food and tailgate around campus. Since you are not likely to have access to a lot of gear, I would recommend checking out the Varsity pre-game. They do a beer special, you buy an oversize mug and fill it up for $5 a pop after that. They also will have a movie size screen with whatever big game may be on that day. You can also get a plate of red beans or jambalaya while there.

Post game depends on where you stay, if you are staying downtown hit up third street. Be careful after the game though, police are out and about. If you are looking for a more lively environment there are bars around the varsity that you can hit up. I like Slinky’s after the game myself.

By the way, there is a shuttle bus that will take you to and from the game that you can catch from the Hilton hotel downtown . Ideal for your scenario. You could drink at Happy’s on third street before the game and then catch a ride on the bus, then come back.

2. mattyl2003

mattyl2003 Veteran Member

Sounds like its going to be a cracking day/night in Baton Rouge...

We are staying on Sth Acadian Thruway, so not to far from LSU, east of LSU and SE of downtown, nevermind we will manage to get there beforehand and back again somehow.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly you mean by tailgate around campus? You mean just setup a little area to eat/drink with mates until you head to the stadium? British lingo is a bit different :)

Sounds like an ideal way to start the day. What time do people normally get to the stadium? We arrive in BR about 11ish, so will be looking to head to some pubs for pre-drinks about 1ish i guess.

Thanks again mate for all your helpful advice..

3. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

That is exactly what I mean. For games like Northwestern, people normally start getting out there around 11:00 A.M. Of course, you will always have the ones that get there sometime after sunrise. On days that I cook, we get there around 7:00 a.m.

The Varsity starts filling up around noon, you should be able to get in and grab a spot to sit around 1:00. There is normally paid parking, $20 bucks or so, right around the varsity. Not sure how parking is going to be next year because they are changing things up a bit.

4. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

Mattyl2003,

There are couple of other things to consider for September games at Death Valley. It's going to be hot temperature wise. Dress appropriately! If you plan on being outdoors most of the day, sunscreen may be a good idea as well. Enjoy the LSU campus! It's like a piece of heaven on earth to me. There will be beautiful women all around campus, so don't blur your vision too much with the drinking!!! Most of all, have fun!

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'd just like to echo what Pintoracer said about the heat. Specifically, the weather will likely be very humid at that time of year, so you will sweat a lot and need to stay hydrated. I've seen more than a few people over the years get light-headed and pass out because they weren't drinking enough water to go with their beverages. I'd also suggest bringing some rain gear like ponchos since the weather is often wet, as well.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get turned on to American football?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, we do it on a scale that has to be seen to be believed. Arrive early and visit around. You will be fed well. Get back online near game day and you can probably link up with several of us pre-game

People arrive the day before to set up tents and gear and the party starts at dawn. You should come on over as soon as you can. There are pubs and restaurants in the area, but if you drift around with a British accent and ask people "hey, what is that I smell cooking over here", you will likely be handed a beer and a plate of food.

7. mattyl2003

mattyl2003 Veteran Member

Cheers red55, Pintoracer and lsudolemite :)... Appreciate the extra advice... I am actually Australian but live in London, so am quite used to hot temperatures and high humidity, but will take your advice and make sure we are dressed suitably and stay hydrated.

No doubt there will be plenty of beautiful women :).. Looking forward to the famous hospitality Louisiana is famous for..

I have always been keen on American Football since they began showing it on TV in Oz a few years back, and I love trying to attend local sporting events whether its NBA, NHL or whatever when travelling, and I was told that College games are an amazing experience and not a normal touristy thing to do, so thought why not. Also gives us a chance to experience and get involved in the city in a more deeper level then just visiting museums etc.

All that is left now is ''WHERE TO PARTY'' after the game :)

Thanks again, and see you all in September.

More advice is always welcome!!!

8. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Since it's a 7:00 PM game, try to get over to the north side of Tiger Stadium about 5:00 PM or so and watch the Golden Band from Tigerland & the Golden Girls come down victory hill. The area I'm talking about is right between the Stadium and the PMAC (Basketball Arena). Just ask anyone and they'll point you in the right direction. Not hard to find though. But watching the Band come down the hill is a great LSU tradition and gets everyone fired up and ready for the game! :thumb: I try not to miss it when I go to a game.

Hope you enjoy your "Saturday Night in Death Valley" experience! :LSU231:

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

You will witness both of these in spades. Red is right, revisit this thread and the board a few weeks before gametime and you will get advice on where to tailgate and/or invitations to join someones tailgate/party.

You should visit this forum to try and learn a little about our team. Particularly a couple weeks before the game, you will start to see threads about the game you are attending. The more you know, the more you should enjoy the game.

That I'll have to leave to the locals. I haven't lived in BR for 10 years and am out of touch a bit.

Stick around, we are glad to have you.

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

We need to sticky this thread. Early indications are it will be a good one. :D

Some of my work colleagues are in the UK and my biggest challenge in dealing with them is we don't speak the same version of the English language.

I wish I could be there so I could witness how Matty and his mates adapt to driving on the "right" side of the road, understanding South Louisiana accents, digesting damn good Cajun food, and understanding the real version of football. :lol: