Girl Wins McDonald's All-American Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Mar 30, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

I posted this in another thread, but after thinking it over I believe it deserves it's own thread. Included in the article are quotes from Big Baby and Seimone Augustus.

Since the women have our attention at the moment and since we're giving the women's game some props for the time being, check out this article about the McDonald's All American Slam Dunk Contest. This girl won, up against the boys - she won straight up in direct competition. Previous winners of this competition include LeBron, Carmelo, Baron Davis, Vince Carter and Jerry Stackhouse - not bad company. This is scary stuff. She is a Tennessee committment. Here is the link:

Female Wins McDonald's All-American Dunk Contest

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

They already played the McDonalds game?

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Someone better do a "jock check"... :grin:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

"That was big," added Glen "Big Baby" Davis, an LSU-bound forward. "I saw history tonight, right before my eyes."

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Appropriately, fourth-seeded LSU clinched a spot in the Final Four about the same time Parker was hoisting her trophy from the dunk contest. Seimone Augustus, the Lady Tigers' sophomore star who scored 29 points for the second consecutive game, is the heir apparent to graduating stars Diana Taurasi of UConn and Alana Beard of Duke.

Augustus, who can dunk but has yet to in a game, will share the SEC spotlight with Parker the next two seasons.

"That's unbelievable," Augustus said of Parker. "Good for her. That's a big step for the game of women's basketball. We don't get as much publicity as the men do. Maybe this will open people's eyes. The game is changing."

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Geaux women Geaux.......
    Kudos to Augustus for playing like a superstar the last 2 games.

Btw, I didn't think it was possible for a woman to out dunk males.
    This isn't a sexist view but everyone knows that women don't usually dunk much less
    win a contest like this against men..

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Bad news, though: she's signed with Tennessee.

We may be going to the Final Four, but the Lady Vols are still THE program. Our ladies better get ready, because I don't want to have to endure four more years of being crushed to the ground by Pat Summit and her invincible juggernaut.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I haven't seen it all but I have a feeling that she didn't 'out-dunk' the guys but rather got better scores for doing lesser dunks. I did get to see 2 of her dunks on sportscenter and if it was a guy doing the dunks, he wouldn't have even been in the contest.

9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I saw the same 2 dunks, and agree with your assessment. While it's impressive that a woman did it, the dunks weren't much. It was a gift...she didn't earn it. Too much will be made of this.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You are right on the money the contest was a total sham. I watched the replay of the entire contest tonight and what she made were three shots where she droped the ball over the rim not really much of a dunk. Meanwhile all of the other contestants wer trying 360's, between the legs, arround their back, off the back board and other high difficulty dunks. Since it is a cumilative point total of three dunks she had scores on all three easy easy "dunks" while every other contestant had at least one miss. She was by far the worst contestant in the entire group. It should not take away from her individual accomplishments and she looks like she will be a thorn in our side for years to come, but dunk contest winner she is not. :geaux: :lsug: