Give Turtle a chance!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScottyB28, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Do you guys think Turtle deserves a chance at Being Head Coach of the Tigers. I think so, lets give him a chance. Things can't get much worse, we are not even gonna make it to the SEC tourney. WOW:angryfire :angryfire

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Turtle has stated he does not want to be a head coach. He likes interacting with high-school kids, their coaches, and parents. He is more interested in recruiting than he is in managing a team.

3. KLSU

KLSU Founding Member

HELL NO!!

Turtle is the main problem now. Ever since he got here LSU recruiting has gone down the toilet. He arrived in 2000 and won the NC but that wasn't his recruits. Every since 2000(Yes even under Bertman) LSU baseball has been on the decline. It is great to sign all the wonderful prospects but it does you no good when they all sign major league contracts. LSU needs players that lay it on the line like Barbier, Theriot, Johnson, Mcclure, or Whitten. Maybe not the best prospects in the country but winners. They believe they are going to win and do it. That is just my opinion maybe I am way off base.

4. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

Who was our recruiter before him?

All I know is that he has brought in classes of the top 5 the past 6 years at LSU and Miami so your post is incorrect.

5. KLSU

KLSU Founding Member

Who cares where classes are ranked? Does that really matter if they play like they have been? Give me a break.

6. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

But you are incorrect in saying our recruiting classes are horrid and have no talent. They do but they are not playing to their potential.

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Good post. Also, I honestly think that LSU's woes are NOT 100% Smoke's (or Turtle's) fault. Maybe it's about 25%... I really don't know. I think that the SEC, as a whole, is astounding this season. Much, much, MUCH better than I thought the conference would be. LSU has a young team... losing CJ hurt TREMENDOUSLY. Lack of production is our problem. I don't care for stats too much, but I do know one thing: Giving up 30+ runs in a weekend series is NOT the way to win ballgames. I got pretty disgusted listening to the games this weekend and put on some old Omaha tapes... I won't lie to you, I used to love it when LSU would turn the switch on, the hits would come and we'd end up winning. But guess what friends, that's not how you play baseball. LSU's style (early) this season is what baseball is all about. This is a style new to LSU and it's a style that will take a couple seasons to see results. LSU fans still expect to see the 5, 6 and 7 run innings, but that's getting hard to come by against the improved pitching in college. I think the MAIN PROBLEM IS, is that LSU players were having GREAT results early in the season playing small ball, started to get in a slump, and then tried to revert back to gorrilla ball. The style in which LSU is playing RIGHT NOW is, quite honestly, piss-poor. I hate to say it, I really do, but it's the truth. Those guys are hurting out there. The coaches need to do a better job of settling the guys down and sticking with a gameplan. Can you imagine the pressure Smoke must be under? I'm not making any excuses, but it's TOO DAMN EASY TO BLAME THE COACH FOR BAD PLAY! Sometimes things are a little more complicated.

8. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

i was also watching a tape the 3rd game against Baylor in the super regional in 2003 and I almost cried........no not really.......to not see any players like Hill, Gill, Harris, Patterson, Naccarta, Holt, and Zeringue on this team that you could count on for a hit or to come down from a huge hole. Also I noticed the fans which this team has no support from and has no motivation what so ever. Smoke probably takes naps behind those sun glasses and it makes me mad to see this team not fight for their 18th strait regional host site or something like that.

I will say if we get a new coach that gets on the kids for not doing things and teaches them then watch out next season. We will be on top again

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Small ball does not win championships. Its great in certain situations, but you need to be able to produce runs with bats and not with gimmicks to win regularly. We don't have the pitching to live on 3 run outtings.

The dumbest move I ever saw a coach make was when Smoke had Quinn Stewart bunt with two on and no outs in the first inning. Why take the bat out of your best hitters hands?

If you play for one run, that's all you get.

10. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

good post LSUsupaFan

I never thought about this but he expected the pitching to be good so we could play small ball....well that didn't happen did it?