glen guilbeau article

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerlaw, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

I'm not the type of person that puts a lot of interest in other people's opinions sijmply because they are just that: opinions. But when I read today's advocate and this article, my blood started to boil. Opinions must be made responsibly by people in a position to influence others, like sportswriters. Mr. Guilbeau made several points in his article, but I'm only going to touch on the ones that bothered me.

Point #1: LSU basketball does not have one of the best recruiting classes in the nation.
    Wow. It's amazing that he can analyze the sucess of a recruiting class by the first half of their freshman year. I wish I could see into the future like that. I have a message for Mr. Guilbeau: Put down the Magic 8-ball and wait awhile before you start judging freshman basketball players. If you applied this logic to football then Justin Vincent couldn't have been a great recruit because his production was mainly in the second half of the season and obviously it's the first half of the season that counts. Dumb.

Point #2: LSU basketball should not have been picked to win the SEC WEST.
    Wow again. So Mr. Guilbeau, how's your NCAA bracket look? Obviously you've filled one out already. We have played a whole 3 SEC games AND WON 2! Granted, the game against Miss. St. was a disappointment, but so was the Florida game in football. It's early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end. We have traditionally played poorly in January under Brady (b/c of a weak non-conference schedule), but picked up the tempo as the season went on. Again: dumb.

This is my opinion. I think we should wait and see what happens before making our doomsday predictions and showing our disappointment in FRESHMEN. I applaud Mr. Guilbeau for trying to be objective, but save it for after the season. I've checked my Magic 8-ball, Mr. Guilbeau, and it says: REPLY HAZY. TRY AGAIN LATER.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Sourdoughman's point #1
    If the basketball team does win the SEC WEST Mr. Guilbeau will
    look like an ASS.:shock: :cry:

Well, Here's a toast to winning the SEC West!:D

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Sounds like someone pissed in Glenn's cheerios before he wrote that. For whatever reason, he went negative rather than trying to look at the upside.

What I do know is this...Starting 3 FR is tough on a team, along with playing others. Hud hasn't got any confidence in shooting the ball. Mitchell is playing bigger than he is. If Brady can get Tack to play in control for the whole game, he will really have something. He also needs to use Lazare more often to spell the two big men, because these guys won't make it down the stretch if they are playing 35-40 minutes a game. Regis needs to crash the offensive boards, especially when the opponent has settled deep into a zone and we can't hit from outside. That's the best time to grab those boards cause you already have inside position.

This team will come together as the season progresses. Winning the West is a big-time goal for a team loaded with talent and short on experience. Let the season play out, let the kids gain some experience, and let's see what Brady's kids can do. Its also time for Jaime to take over a game late in the 2nd half. He's got to be the go-to guy, and our guards have to find a way to get it to him.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Somebody save that article. And smear it with Vaseline to ease the pain for Guilbeau.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i read thart article too and i didnt like it. its far too early to make these sorts of decisions. judging a freshman class that is only 1/8 of the way into their eligibility? after 3 SEC games? ridiculous.

its almost as if he wants to stir up trouble for the sake of trouble, making such wildly premature judgements.

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Two weeks after we take home the big football bacon and this guy has got us talkin' 'bout Tigah basketball...

I don't agree with him, but I gotta say - the man IS doin' his job!!!!

7. Vega$$ainT

Vega$$ainT Founding Member

the big problem i see with lsu basketball is they can never have frontcourt and backcourt experience all at the same time. You can say this year they might, but the freshman are all young. I do not see them making that big a push toward a national title this year (you never know though) and next year llorieda is gone so most of the inside presence will be gone. If they could just get the two together in the same year with the experience it would be great.

eric

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Isn't Glenn Davis going to be an inside power guy? I think we are a couple of years away, but we can be a top team in basketball too.