Going to Church makes you FAT

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Mar 25, 2011.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

good point catholics are normal, its this church of christ that is so crazy.

well, to be fair, jesus was jewish, so i would assume that judaism goes back to jesus time. judaism is lies though so no worries.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Well not quite:
    Religious Bodies - Oldest to Youngest

And then you get into the Gnostic Christians and Syrian Orthodox and early versions of christian/Judaism

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

good point, all the non-christian religions are nonsense. there is lots of evidence against them.

i dont really want to argue about this, but i am a terrible person.

doctors give you short estimates on purpose for obvious reasons.

prepare for crippling harshness, i apologize in advance:

part of being an adult is understanding that people die and there is nothing anyone can do about it. no magic, no miracles, just death. your mom and mine (i assume you are roughly my age) are on the clock and there is no hope. we do "have nothing" like you say. we just sit tight and wait to be destroyed when get the news.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is true, of course. But you are an urban atheist Vulcan intellectual and are comforted by the logic of this. She is an extended-famly Catholic and is comforted by matters of faith, you must accept it. If she finds comfort in her rituals, so be it. To each his own comfort zone.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am certainly not comforted by the logic of it. it is terrible and i hate it just like everyone else. but like a child realizing santa isnt true, i just accept it.

so yes, she has her faith. so be it. she isnt aware that she is lying to herself. i dont think it ends up being a net positive that people lie to themselves and teach their kids to lie to themselves.

6. chewie

chewie Glitched

How can you be sure she isn't right though? Where is the proof? Hey believe me, I don't think there's a bearded guy in a toga zooming around on a nimbus listening to his favorite mix tape of prayers. But I'm honest enough to admit that we can't even explain a fraction of the world we live in, so how is it remotely possible to fathom the next world, whether it's partying with angels or rotting in the dirt or anything outside and in between. Half the fun is figuring out your own answer and hearing all the different ones you come by. Some people need the reassurance of being believed in by someone other than themselves, regardless of whether or not they are projecting life's burdens and mysteries on something they can't see. It's just as much your right to declare how to properly assimilate children to life's problems and unanswerable questions, as it is not your right to tell someone how to raise their kids. When it boils down, you don't know either...nobody does. Faith is a powerful thing, and it comes in all forms. I have faith in myself, that just happens to get me through my days.

Regardless of all that crap, I believe good people have nothing to worry about. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, they are kidding themselves. One more thing....people that use religion as a back up plan to "get into heaven" make this world a sad place, as do the fearmongerers that try to cast doubt and shame into happy people that don't follow their ideals. Find your own happiness and let those people live in fear.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

"How can you be sure ... Where is the proof?" - you

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

what i want to know is how does the big guy upstairs feel about being an excuse for the fat asses to not put the cheese puffs down?

i mean, is it an insult to just be another excuse in a long line for not taking personal responsibility? "i have bad knees." "it's the baby weight." and now, "i go to church regularly". seriously?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

old testament god is vengeful and angry and thinks gluttony is a sin, lucky for me my faith is in new testament god, very forgiving of human vices.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

he may be forgiving of the vice of not being able to put down a snickers bar, but does he mind being the excuse for it?

seems a bit contradictory to go to church and be all holy, then turn around and blame that for being a fat ass.

this is why i would be terrible at being god. i'd get all pissy and set the microwave popcorn on fire just out of spite. but beings that you are the new testament god type, you would probably magically make extra butter appear just to prove how loving and forgiving you are.