Golden Band

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

for those of you who don't know about the fish, some sections in TigerBand have a mascot. The trumpets is an old piece of wood found in a dumpster that is in the shape of a fish and now they worship it, and I use the term lightly, like it is their god.(notice the little g)

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Not to get off topic but I can't wait to hear and watch you guys perform this year again. :thumb:

Are ya'll going to be doing the PMAC thing with TAF?

3. Tigerbnd05

We don't know for sure, but probably yes. The more we win the more we do it. We don't like it so much cause when we come in, there is almost nobody there. We would like it more if more people showed up to hear us, but they don't. Thus it is just another stop on the way to the stadium. So tell your friends to come to it so it is more fun to come there!!!!
    Regaurdless, I love playing for the fans, and truly would do it if only 10 fans showed up.

4. luckydog602

luckydog602 Founding Member

2003 Keeper

TigerBn05 and MobileBengal, what are your names??
    This is Joey LaHatte, Keeper of the Fish this past 2003 National Championship Season.

-Story of the Trumpet Fish: Well, this was the story that has been passed down through many generations to each Keeper, and basically it gets more vague every year.

Origin: Supposedly, it came from a dumpster on an Alabama away trip in 1986. The story says that the LSU football team got hammered at that game and the trumpets somehow ventured into the dumpster back at the hotel after the loss. They found this big wooden fish that I now have and deemed it the official Trumpet Mascot. The first names on the fish are: Nathan Goebel and Kevin Lyons. with dates 85-87 - I ran into a good friend of Kevin Lyons before the Georgia game this year at the trumpet arc, he saw the fish and went nuts, he told me that he had idea that it had survived this long. In his words. "They found the fish on that Alabama away trip in the dumpster, and shortly after the trombones stole it and then sent back a bag of ashes claiming that they had burned the thing." This is how the tradition of stealing the fish originated. He said it was originally intended as a joke, but it grew into one of the biggest traditions in all of TigerBand.

The trumpet fish is the official mascot of the TigerBand Trumpet Section. Yes, I would say it is worshiped and guarded as a god, but it truly represents the comraderie, spirit, and the uniqueness of the trumpets. Each year, it is passed down to another "Keeper" who is called the "Keeper of the Fish" for the given year. It is the job of that Keeper to bring it to all practices and road trips no matter what, it has to be present whenever the trumpets meet: Before games in the warmup arc, on the trumpet bus #5, all practices, and the trumpet luau.

Like I said before, it is a big tradition for the sections to try and steal it. This past year, after a theft attempt, Linda Moorhouse (LRM) joked with me and said I needed to strap it on my back to keep it safe. Well, next practice, I had it on my back as a joke and then I wore it again, and then I wore it the rest of the year. That fish is pretty friggin heavy, my shoulders got pretty brawn let me tell you. There were many attempts this year, drumline stole it twice, mellophones once, baritones once, and tubas stole it in Atlanta after the SEC Championship game. Also, after the SugarBowl I was practically assaulted in the Marriott elevator by a tuba guy, but I took care of him. It was amazing how the sections game up with these elaborate schemes to divert my attention and other trumpets.

-One last piece of fish info, I snuck it into my last game in TigerBand, The SugarBowl and actually got it on TV. So, the fish saw his first LSU game at the national championship.
    -Ask anyone in TigerBand (who's not a trumpet) about the trumpet fish and they'll either say, "I'm going to steal that thing" or "I'm going to burn that thing". It was awesome being the keeper this past year and I hope the tradition lives on forever, it'll be 20 years old in a couple of years.

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Any chance you could "steal" a photo and post it for the rest of us ?

6. Tigerbnd05

This is Micah Schlatre, and you know me, i water down the story of the fish. But its all good. At this point i would prefer stealing the mello mascot.

7. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

That's A Nice Story Luckydog But...

we beat Bama in 1986.

8. luckydog602

luckydog602 Founding Member

I realize we beat Bama in 1986, but like I said, 17 years of passing down a story and its bound to get misconstrued somewhere.....I'll post a picture shortly.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

This is Ryan Parham.

10. Tigerbnd05

Congrats to you Joey, forgot to add that on.