Golf course thread?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Don't know if its been done here before, but how about we golfers tell about our home and/or favorite courses? For me, its Atchafalaya at Idlewild in Patterson. Opened about 3 years ago as part of the Audubon Trail. Robert Von Hagge layout, beautiful and challenging (highest slope in the state from the back tees), but not too much to handle for an 18-handicapper like me from the blue tees. Von Hagge did a great job blending the course into the natural terrain, rather than plopping palm trees and pampas grass all over the place. Gators in the ponds and bald eagles in the woods nearby. Open to the public and about $60 for 18 on the weekends; its definitely worth a visit.

Let's hear some more!

2. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Grew up on Greenwood. :hihi:

I played Copper Mills, and that one was nice.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I play a lot at Muni in Lafayette, which is a goat ranch, but the new course on the northside is a decent links course for the money (about $33 with cart).

I also play the Farm about once a month which has some challenging and interesting holes. 18 eats my lunch. You have to stay to the right or the sloping left side will funnel your ball right into the water. Only monster hitters can reach in 2 because it's all carry over water.

The Links in Alexandria is a great course as well and a great bargain at $32.

4. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

Black Bear in Poverty Point is awesome and inexpensive. Squire Creek,Calvert Crossing, Frenchman's Bend are all very nice clubs locally.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Play the Islands a bunch because it is a nice course for the price.

I really like Greystone in DSprings because it is challenging. All about placement on almost ever hole.

Copper Mill is nice along with Squirrel Run in Lafayette.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

If you're ever looking for a nice golfing vacation, I would recommend Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidoso, New Mexico. Near Ruidoso is also a really cute mountain town called Cloudcroft, and there is a neat course there called The Lodge.

The only issue you might have is that to access Ruidoso, you have to fly to El Paso, then drive to Ruidoso, which is basically due north of White Sands, New Mexico. I think it was 80 or so miles from El Paso to White Sands.

7. mctiger

Haven't played The Islands yet, but I've been meaning to get out there. My brother is a member at Copper Mill, so I've played there a few times. I agree, its nice; have they started the new clubhouse yet?
    Haven't played Squirrel Run in years, but I always enjoyed it.

8. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Squirrel Run is in the Berry.

I've played it a few times.....very hard course for me.

Idlewild in Patterson is a great course too. Gotta hit the fairways there.

Tahmaka Trails in Marksville is great. 83 bunkers throughout course.

Cypress Bend in Toledo Bend is a thing of beauty! I highly recommend playing there.

I want to play The Island and Kosati Pines in Lake Charles.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Sorry, I never know where I am when I am in the area. I have family in New Iberia and Lafayette so I should know.

10. mctiger

Absolutely! 2 or 3 holes on the back nine give you downhill tee shots facing the resorvoir. Probably the prettiest tee shots in the state, including 17 at The Bluffs.