Golf is still a game of honor

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Winston1, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was in the 8th grade the first time I ever played golf. I played with a friend and his dad and his dad's friend. On the first tee I completely missed the ball because I turned my head to look where it was going. When they had stopped laughing the dad's friend told me how to fix the problem. He said to tie a fish hook to each end of a string and put one hook in my nose and the other on my balls

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Helluva game that you can play for a lifetime. I didn't learn this till my mid 30's. I admire these old timers (over 80) who still score their age. Pretty freaking impressive.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I've been playing, following, & watching golf for 40+ years. I've even had the good fortune to work tournaments for all three major networks.

Unfortunately, a whiffed tap in happens more often than you would think. The most famous was Hale Irwin whiffing one in a major many years ago that cost him the trophy.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I get it to an extent. It's a charity tournament, they want the money to flow, so the alcohol does. And yet, I see no excuse for the f-bomb, sexual innuendo crap to be thrown around in front of young ladies and volunteers. Save that shit for the cart when riding around or the green amongst your foursome. Good clean fun, to me, does not include sloppy, irreverent, disrespectful behavior....you know, like laying on the fairway grass or urinating on a tree within full view of the clubhouse. Don't be "that guy".

I am not a fan of the mulligan becoming an accepted aspect of formal tournament (non-pro) rules. My dad is turning in his grave at the idea.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bill Clinton has been known to take an extra mulligan or two. He calls it a "Billigan."

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Pretty much what he did with Monica, isn't it? And now with the housewife next door?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In an episode of The Highlander Duncan Macleod got pissed off when he found out his friend had cheated in a game of golf 300 years in the past

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yeah I get that. On the course it's all good. Like we would never try to get the beer cart chics to show us her boobs.

Yeah I get this too. I rarely take them anymore. I played in Phoenix a couple weeks ago and found myself on an elevated tee box. Beautiful wide open green at least 100 to 150 feet below the box. Awesome scene. I proceed to hit this bullshit dribbling turd that snaked off to the left bounced off a cactus and probably landed right in the center of a coiled up rattler. I didn't even think twice. Said "come on Shane, wtf was that shit"? Teed up another and launched it right down the center. Ended up about 365 due to the change in elevation and no I didn't count it as my 3rd. That shit was my tee shot because that is how it's supposed to be.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Only the good shots count. The bad ones are practice swings. o_O

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I used to play that way but quickly figured out I would never get better doing so. Like I said, I don't do it often but I have no idea how many more times I will ever get to play a PGA level course in Phoenix ever again. I wasn't about to let my only tee shot on a hole that beautiful be some shank cause I let it all go to my head. Backed off, regrouped and fed the big dog.