Gonna see Da Vinci Code?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, May 20, 2006.

?

Seeing the Da Vinci Code?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Waiting for DVD

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Curious...I read the book and thought it was a great read. I was lukewarm on the movie, but I think I'll go see it to spite the protesters.

Somehow, some way, these idiots haven't figured out that it's FICTION. You know, like MADE UP! The irony of the Catholic Church having problems with people making stuff up is almost too much to ponder.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The problem with the whole its fiction arguement is that alot of people are idiots. I mean there are gnostics for the first time in 1600 years. Dan Brown's own comments indicate that the book is a melding of history and fiction. It clearly is not every "fact" Brown presents is flat wrong.

On the other hand, the book was great. The movie was blah.

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I loved the book and really enjoyed the movie. Obviously, I didn't expect the movie to be better than the book and I was right. I thought that it stayed very true to the book and kept the important things, while leaving some other things out that would've required a much longer movie. Despite what some say, I think Tom Hanks was well-cast in his role as Robert Langdon. Sure, he's not the action type, but neither is Robert Langdon. Ian McKellan, by far, stole the show. He added a great mix of humor and incredible acting for his role as Sir Leigh Teabing. Jean Reno as the police captain was a no-brainer, especially since the character in the book was apparently written with him in mind.

As for the controversy, people need to realize that this is historical fiction. In fact, one of the themes that is emphasized over and over again in the book and is also represented in the movie is that it all depends on what you believe. It is all based on faith and nothing can take that away from somebody. But don't for one minute think that this story is an attempt to debunk Christianity. It all lies on faith.

All in all, great book and great movie. I'd read the book before seeing the movie, though. Don't worry, I guarantee you will finish it in 3 days, tops.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i'll read it tomorrow and watch the movie this week. even though it seems so stupid. what do i care what some jerkass from a couple thousand years ago was doing, or who he was married to or wasnt. big secret my ass. i hope the murder mystery part is worth reading/watching.

5. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

martin, I think you'll actually enjoy it. It seems right up your alley.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I pay a lot for premium movie channels. I'll just wait until it comes out on DirecTV in a few months.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm going to go see it. I read the book the other day and really enjoyed it. It's only the second book I've ever sat down & read straight through. I've heard varying analysis on the movie. I was supposed to go see it on Friday with some friends but didn't make it and they all enjoyed it so I think it's worth going see.

As far as the book being fiction, I think the problem is that it's unclear what is fiction. Obviously, the story itself is fiction, but historical things are presented as fact. Supa says all of these historical "facts" are lies, but I found varying degrees of truth to them.

I found the book's comments on the french pretty funny, but unfortunately don't expect it to be in the movie.

8. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Just wait. :wink:

I want to know why people won't see it. I see there is one vote for "No".

9. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I have had the book for the longest time but I haven't had the time to read it yet. I want to see the movie but I want to read the book before going to see the movie so I may not see it until it comes out on DVD.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

At some point in time I will be in a video rental store and may or may not pick it up. I can think of very few movies that I would shell out the $$'s to see at the theater. Formula entertainment isn't my cup of tea. I do take my 7 year old to see movies that he is interested in. But that is more about seeing him excited and filled with wonderment.