good article on corey

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Giants go for seconds with LSU's Webster

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

New York Daily News

NEW YORK - (KRT) - The Giants had been eyeing LSU cornerback Corey Webster for more than a year, ever since their scouts started writing up glowing reports during his junior season. But on March 31, when he had his workout in Baton Rouge, La., the Giants were sure he would never play for them.

"When I left the workout I had my head down," said Jerry Reese, the Giants director of player personnel. "I was like, `There's no way the guy's going to be there when we pick,' because the guy was brilliant."

So it was a surprised and happy Giants draft room on Saturday when Webster still was waiting there for them in the second round when they made the 43rd pick in the NFL draft at the Javits Center. The Giants had no first-round pick since they traded it to San Diego in the Eli Manning trade last April, but they got a player who they believe would've been a first-rounder had he left LSU after his junior year.

Webster probably would've been a first-rounder this year, too, but he was plagued by injuries during his senior season. He suffered a strained PCL in his right knee in the season opener, which led to a drop-foot problem and minor injuries in his hamstring and hip. He fought through them and missed only one game, but his production dropped to two interceptions after he had picked off seven passes in each of the two previous years.

Had he been healthy, though, the Giants think he would've been a top-15 pick or higher - which is where they had him rated last year.

"I think he's probably better than the corner from Miami, (Antrel) Rolle (who was picked eighth), and he's (three) inches taller than Pac Man (Jones, who was picked sixth)," Reese said. "We're very fortunate to get the guy, there's no question in my mind."

Those injuries, though, obviously scared quite a few teams off - but not the Giants, who were satisfied by his workout performance. It helped, of course, that he played a position where the Giants had a glaring need. They were not very deep behind starting corners Will Allen and Will Peterson, despite solid play last season from Frank Walker and Curtis Deloatch. Plus, Allen is entering the final year of his contract, and the Giants needed some insurance in case he isn't re-signed.

"You just never have enough (cornerbacks)," Giants GM Ernie Accorsi said. "You have to have pass rushers and you have to have cover corners. Without that you're dead. There are other things that are important, but when you can't cover, that's touchdowns." (continued)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11476197.htm

Saban said at the end of the day Saturday that he wished he could have drafted LSU cornerback Corey Webster in the second round. But the New York Giants took Webster 43rd overall, three spots before the Dolphins selected Iowa defensive end Matt Roth.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Guess who gets to see every NY Giants game on TV?

Me, that's who.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you and anyone south of the north pole with a dish and the ticket. ;) ;) :thumb: :thumb:

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

or a ticket!!!

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Nope, I see it on the regular network broadcast.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

That was one of the worst things about living in Jersey. Jets, Giants, Theismann, and Monday Night Football. Such crappy options. Now, thanks to DirecTV, I can now decide for myself that I won't watch the Giants play.

Great article about Webster. I'm glad they're that high on him.

7. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

All of the "Yes, sir." and " No, sir." in his interview. I've never really read one of his interviews or heard any. Very well-spoken and well-mannered young man based on that read!

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

10. lsubasketball

lsubasketball Founding Member

Guys - not dissing Corey on here but I saw him get interviewed at the beginning of the year on Cox Sports and my goodness it seemed like this guy needed to attend speech classes regularly. It was very hard to understand him talk. Anyone else carry on a conversation with Corey or listened to him during an interview.

Anyway, I'm proud of him especially since he was a small town guy (Vacherie). Good luck and I hope he does well!