Good book about bowls, playoffs, and the BCS

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUfan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I just finished reading a good book that I thought I would share with the board. It's called "The 50 Year Seduction" by Keith Dunnavant.

The book is about how television has formed the current NCAA football situation. The writer doesn't support either the bowl system or a possible playoff format . . . he just lays out the history of college football in terms of television and how it has changed the sport. You will learn why we have the bowls and BCS, as well as why we don't have a playoff now. The writer explains how television formed the sport we all enjoy, as well as the negatives issues that have tainted it through the years.

It was an enjoyable read. I'm sure if you wait a few months you can find this book in any used bookstore. It's worth the time reading this, it gives you insights into things that were not really made public. So, if you support the current bowl system, the old bowl system, or a possible playoff it will give you plenty of good information in which to base your opinion or arguements.

2. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Catchy title. Didn't know about this book. Have to give it a look. You would think the tv networks would favor a playoff. Plenty of exposure.

I might just wait until the movie comes out. :hihi:

[​IMG]

3. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll lookk for the book. Does he mention any games in ncaa football history as being important or really big or history making in regards to tv and college football?

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Heres a good read,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm bored and this thread was dead anyway so sue me.

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

This is a good book, whether you are a soldier or a business man....

[​IMG]

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Correct you are. Here's another..........

[​IMG]

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Yes, but that is not the focus of the book. Teams and games are mentioned, in fact LSU is mentioned a few times. But nothing you probably didn't already know before.

The book is more about television contracts, early college football production, and answers why ND has it's own contract and how the SEC changed TV contracts forever in the 90's. The writer also gives insight into the CFA and why it was invented, how the NCAA controls college football, and how the NFL played a part in everything. Commercialization is big part of the book as well, from the bowls to sponsored stadiums and games. While all the pro sports were making tons of money in the 80s and 90s, the NCAA was losing money. It was better for the fans though, since before the deals in the 70's, you only got 1 college football game a weekend on TV. Today you have football from 9:00 am to midnight.

Bowls and playoffs would generate equal amounts of money for the networks, the schools however would suffer making less across the board with a playoff. The one thing you learn is that in a league of 120 or so teams, the minor programs have much more power than the top programs (it's all in the numbers).

Anyway, it is an interesting book and quick read. The best part is that it gives real insight into why we have the bowls and BCS. It's easy to say it's because of the money, but until you can understand the background, all the useless debates have meant nothing. ABC and ESPN have been trashing the BCS, calling college football a laughing stock . . . however, you find out that ABC wanted to lower the NCAA's asking price for the BCS package. Since the book came out their ploy backfired, and now FOX owns the future BCS rights.

Maybe this is useless, a worthless thread . . . I don't know. I read this book and found it interesting. Considering all the threads on this board dedicated to the debate over the bowls or playoffs, I figured some other posters here might find it usefull. If it bothers posters here that I took up space to suggest this book, then by all means delete this thread.

8. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Thanks LSUfan for the review. I'll look for the book.