Good Bye Big 10

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Sep 6, 2014.

1. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

Oh I know that Mack got really high recruiting classes, but Mack doesn't run the same offense or defense as Strong. Strong also has a different sense of discipline as Mack. The big ??? how the hell does a place like Texas have an even worse QB recruitment ratio than LSU? I mean ... they would have loved to have Jordan Jefferson on their team.

cajdav1 and LSUDad like this.
  2. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

I laughed and liked ... but I don't think Saban himself is a cheater (and I hate the bastard). If he was we would have seen it here. I think Bama has a lot of power brokers working behind the scenes and I think Saban has been told to keep his mouth shut. Think the old movie Blue Chips ... Saban just isn't a big enough man (lol, I mean he's what 4'10"?) to throw himself under the bus for the wrongs of the program like Nick Nolte was.

cajdav1 likes this.
  3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'm not even going to read the rest of this thread until after I respond this soooooo as not to prejudice my remarks.

I'll start with saying it ain't near that simple. Fact is I was a huge Yankee fan growing up until my dislike of Steinbrenner & the way he treated his own players, coaches & front office personal turned me off so much. I was also a giant Celtics fan until NOLA got the Jazz & the Celtics became my second favorite team. Before the Saints came into existence I was Baltimore Colts fans & they would have remained my second favorite team if not for Isray.

I was also a Notre Dame fan until I was old enough to real the refs and media loved them too much.

My dislike of the Big Ten began in my formative cfb fan life. This disrespect of all southern teams along with the constant beautification of all things Big Ten, Usc & Notre Dame got me sick to my stomach. Never had a much to do with them winning as it had to do with the unfathomable perception that midwestern football and USC was so much greater than anything the rest of the country had to offer. Without real data to back it up.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. didit

didit Veteran Member

I agree... the cowboys were my second favorite team as a kid (after the Saints) until JJ bought the team and unceremoniously dumped Tom Landry... hated them ever since...

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I could make a list of many coaches that don't run the same Offense or Defense as a previous coach, don't seem to bother them. Mack has always recruited well, some of the best players in the state. Development is one of the major things that he's failed on as of late.

Major Applewhite was looking to get into coach years ago, he went in to talk with Mack, didn't have a space for him. Major went in and talked with a college coach I know, they were more than ready to get him on their staff. Mack caught wind of this, then offered him a spot on the UT staff. Why would a coach do this? That one I never got.

cajdav1 likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I've always found it hard to argue against USC and Alabama's historical prestige. Just too many National Championships.

Funny thing is that I don't remember USC, growing up. I do remember Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas. I was pretty much only focused on what LSU did but remember those teams from big bowl games when we got together for the holidays. Well, except Alabama. I remember them from our dreaded annual ass-whippin in those days.

Do people realize there was a span of 18 years in which we beat Bama ONLY 2 times? How lucky we are to know these days we have a chance. Course many of those losses I'm speaking of were close ones so it's not like we had no business on the field.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Neither me. Any way you count them, it is more than most teams. But I will always object to the one they claim that is ours.

Neither me. I first heard really about Southern Cal was when they had this junior college back called OJ Simpson that was looking like the next Jim Brown.

When the Big-10 and the Pac-8 champions started going to the Rose Bowl exclusively, southerners lost interest in the Rose Bowl, which slipped from its formerly lofty status. The SEC, the SWC and the Big-8 went to all of the big southern bowls and those are the teams we followed. The Big-10 and Pac-8 became almost meaningless to us. We rarely played them in Bowls and southern teams could not go out west to the Rose.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Back then there weren't nearly as many games on TV as there are now but the USC-Notre Dame game was always carried by a network. I hated Notre Dame so I would always root for USC. My favorite game was in 1974 when the Irish were ahead 24-0 right before the half:

In one of the most notable comebacks in college football history, the 1974 Trojans erased a 24-point deficit to beat defending national champion Notre Dame, 55-24, in the Coliseum.[12] Many football historians cite this game as one of USC's 10 greatest games.[17] The Irish jumped out to a 24-0 lead, but with 10 seconds remaining before halftime, Anthony Davis scored on a 7-yard pass from Pat Haden.[12] At the start of second half, Davis took the opening kickoff of and raced 102 yards for a score, opening the floodgates as USC rallied for 35 points in the third quarter.[12] Davis scored 2 more touchdowns that quarter, and Haden threw two TD passes to J. K. McKay, the head coach's son.[12] In the fourth quarter, Haden connected with Shelton Diggs for a touchdown and Charles Phillips returned an interception 58 yards for a touchdown.[12] Adding to the shock of the comeback was the fact that USC scored 55 points in under 17 minutes.[12] After the game, the Rev. Theodore Martin Hesburgh, the then-president of Notre Dame, said to Trojan coach John McKay, "That wasn't very nice." McKay, an Irish Catholic known for his quick wit, replied, "That's what you get for hiring a Presbyterian! (referring to Parseghian's faith)"[12] A few weeks later, Ara Parseghian announced his resignation, and the Irish gave him a fitting farewell present with an emotional 13-11 win over Alabama and Bear Bryant in theOrange Bowl.[13]

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The first I remember about OJ was #32 on the bills. My sister was a fan of his. I think she had his jersey. I was a HUGE Saints fan back then so I wasn't feeling the Juice.

Monday night football with Howard. Mom popped pop corn and dad asked who we were pulling for. I'd get pissed cause my sister would flip flop at half if the team she'd chosen was losing.

Dad always said those who have the least cry the loudest. :D

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My dad said, "Give the bastards an inch and they'll take a mile".

cajdav1 and StaceyO like this.