Good coaching showed in the last 11 seconds.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pitkin Tiger, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

1st--No time wasted on kickoff, just get out of bounds to stop the clock
    2nd--oops, brain fart, too much time (not coaching)
    3rd--pass to middle caught by Clayton, gets down without contact and calls TO to stop the clock
    4th--the play is practiced every Thursday according to newspaper accounts, didn't play out just the way it was drawn up, but it worked!
    Just some thoughts after careful reflection.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I give a lot of credit to Henderson for the incredible concentration on the ball to be able to make the catch.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Not to question things, but....

Why run out of bounds like they did? Clock stops anyway after the kickoff. At worst, DD or Devrey returns the ball to the 25 (where we ended up) and we have one play. Or better yet, return it to the 40 or so and you can reach the endzone in the air.

I'm definitely not complaining and will be featuring my "perma-grin" until Sat. night (hopefully longer) but I don't quite get the thinking behind running out of bounds. I could understand telling Devrey to run north/south and not waste time setting up your blocks but why run out of bounds?

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not enough time to attempt a return. The clock doesn't stop after KO unless it's run out of bounds or a TO is called. VERY smart play to quickly run it OOB.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The clock stops after every change of posession regardless of whether or not the runner goes out of bounds. So the clock wouldn't have kept running even if Devery went straight ahead and got tackeld.