Good job coach Miles you beat Kentucky

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Oct 14, 2006.

1. clair

clair Rockets

for all of you who say he can't lead us to wins over top notch teams, you know nothing:

What do Arizona St., Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Miami have in common?

They all lost to us when they were ranked.

Our home-friendly schedule last year makes a HUGE difference.

12-2 last year
    5-2 so far this year...

If someone told me when he was hired that he'd be 17-4 in his 1st 21, I'd have taken it with open arms.

people give me this bull**** of, "Oh, he's doing it with Saban's talent."

Well in Saban's last 21 games, he was 17-4... Who would have thunk it, huh?

2. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Yeah, when we figure out how to play this way against good teams, no one will beat us. To me, it seems that we play more wide open against the bad teams, but then get too conservative against the good teams. I was at the game tonight, and they ran a lot more 3,4, and 5 WR sets. When they do that, it helps out the o-line by spreading the defense. I think we should do that at the start of the UT game and not wait till we get behind. And you're right, not many other teams are blowing out the teams they should like LSU is (USC, UGA).

3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I couldn't agree more. I love what Saban did for this program but he gave us at least 3 loses every year but 2003. So how are 3 loses from Miles any worse than from Saban?

4. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Good win, I thought the game would be a little closer.

5. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

Have we lost 4 games yet? Did we lose that many last year?

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

i bet your employer wishes your success percentage was as high as Les Miles' :dis: . why can't you people enjoy a win?

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I can't believe the way you guys talk about Saban. He wasn't perfect but he brought us our first NC since 58, two SEC championships, and made our program a national power. His record really is secondary to what he accomplished in 5 years. You have to be able to look past the stats.

I'm satisfied with the Miles hire and am willing to give him time to prosper. Beating the teams that we should, and soundly, is very much appreciated by me. But the fact remains that under Miles the only dominating win we've had against solid competition was the win against a Miami program with the wrong head coach that is now falling apart. The SEC was very down last season and our wins against ranked competition were neither impressive or against championship caliber teams.

I've said it before and I'll stick by it: Miles may be the guy at LSU for a long time and have a huge amount of success, but he has yet to prove himself as a top notch coach. Looking only at recruiting and Wins/Losses can be deceiving. Coker won the NC at Miami and has piled up alot of wins, but he is not a great coach. If Miles were the coach at another SEC-West team, I would still be uncertain about his abilities. I wouldn't fear him, I'd think of him as an unproven commodity. I think most people here would be too, they're just unable to pull of the purple and gold glasses. Now, I'd definitely be afraid of this team if Miles puts everything together.

8. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

It seems to me that for those that don't like Miles, they will always be wearing anti-Miles glases on top of the purple and gold glasses, use any negativities against him and NOT balance things with what is positive. I guess that is all human, whether it is bias or perception.

Although it hurts with the Auburn and Florida losses, the negative feeling against Miles is magnified because of the fact that some of us were already dreaming of SEC Championships if not NC. In the SEC anything can happen. In the Auburn game, I really believe the officials gave the game away; and in the Florida game, it is the players' costly miistakes that did it It is so convenient to pile the blame on the coaches even when it is the players' humanly errors. The players have to take the responsibility as there is so much you can coach against that. I find it very unusual to see a whole string of critical errors lining up that killed that game, in a way analogous to the way the stars lined up to allow the 2003 team have the chance to play in the NC game. It is one of those things that just happen.

This team, like a lot of teams in every season, is work in progress. The 2004 team though with a lot of players left from the 2003 team was not as stellar, despite the same Saban coaching staff. Was the result due to INFERIOR coaching, or was it the players, or team issue in not being able to put it all together? I don't think this team is all that bad at all; the staff will need to solve the problem with the running game with the players they have, and enhance on the special teams. I don't know why Chris Jackson is not punting just as well this year compared to the last year. I find it refreshing and enjoyable to see the team having dominating wins and scores this year, unlike the many years past.
    ________
    PIERO FERRARI

9. armybass

armybass Founding Member

I don't want too bash the guy. I like him, but it sure does seem that we have a problem getting motivated for big games. You all know that we could have and should have beaten AU and Florida this year. We have a great team and our record does not reflect it. I am not saying fire the guy but I would like to see him get our guys up and confident for the big games. It is great to hang 7 or 8 td's on regular teams but we could be in the NC race. Lets see how we do againt UT.

10. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Different coaches have different demeanors and ways of motivating their teams, and I also think it has something to do with the particular season's team chemistry. Some may like Muscahamps style on the sidelines to fire up the players; whereas some stoic looking coaches may have other means. I remember one yr they filmed the locker room of the ARkY HOGS before the game at tiger stadium a few years ago with Houston Nutt giving the team a motivation speeck; I wasn't too impressed and they lost. Now how do you explain that with the win against Auburn? Miles seemed to be able to fire his Ok St. team to win against Oklahoma. I don't know what it takes; I do believe it is a matter of how the particular TEAM, not individuals react to it.

Yes I agree that we could have won both of those games despite our running game woes
    ________
    Paxil classaction