Good Les Miles story in NY Times

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

This is the best quote of the piece....and the most telling:

Then we talked about the differences between Miles and Saban. My friend made an interesting point, something I had never really considered.
    With Saban as your coach, winning sometimes isn’t even fun,” he said. “The goal of Saban is not to have fun, it’s just to win. With Les, it’s always kind of fun and lighthearted, even if you lose. When you go to a football game you’re paying money to watch people play with a ball. You get your money’s worth with Les.”

red55 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was in a bar/restaurant near closing time in the early 90's when Curley Hallman walked in drunk. He wanted something to eat but the bartender told him that the kitchen was closed and all the cooks had gone home. Curley persisted in asking for food until the bartender gave him a bag of food that somebody had ordered early in the evening and never showed up to get.

3. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

Les is a class act. The bland food/rap music analogy was brilliant. Such a shame more LSU fans don't fully embrace him - quirks and all.

Thanks for posting this - you're right - it was a really good read!

GregLSU likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If any of you happened to catch the half time side line interview for the auburn game it was classic. "A heavy mist with a strong wind" the sob refused to admit that it was raining in TS. Rece Davis was losing his shit on the set and "implored Les to never change". Look, the dude can obviously coach but that mf'r is all sorts of crazy.

KyleK likes this.
  5. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Veteran Member

Good article, thanks! Les is special, his interviews with Tracy Wolfson over the past few years show a man that is truly concerned for the people he "works for" - the 95+ in Tiger Stadium, the families of the recruits he visits, the freakin' entire state of Louisiana,, and then he comes out of the tunnel at the Jerry Dome and heads for the Oregon sideline with the biggest grin you could imagine. He's a kid in a candy store, he's got a job he loves and it also happens to be the greatest job in the world. I've got two daughters trying to choose where they will play college softball - I hope they are lucky enough to play for a coach like Les.

6. vetsurg

vetsurg Chuck Norris is a Warren Morris fan

Great article....I agree. Les comes off very human and whimsical, no surprise to those of us who follow him. Love the description of the hand clap, I'm sure he kept a good poker face while going through that one!

Attack Tiger likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I was in a convenience store in Curleys last year and he came in and bought a 12 pack of Coors light and was clearly already soused. The guy definitely had demons.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well I hope they're (our players) are having fun today. As for Saban's kids- they may not have "had fun" yesterday but I bet they're a lot happier today.

9. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Their time is coming, and it will be worse than anything we feel right now.