Good or Bad sign for '04

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarcusQuinn, Aug 13, 2004.

1. MarcusQuinn

MarcusQuinn Founding Member

By my quick count, it looks like 7 or 8 players from '03 will stick with an NFL team, with Mauck, Clayton, Hill, Henderson and other biggies doing as well or better than expected.

So...does this mean a bigger drop-off than expected this season or that the evaluation, coaching and recruiting are just that good and we can expect to lose nothing with at least equal talent in the mix?

I mean, is it a good sign or a bad one for '04?:confused:

2. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... son, now those are beehives

3. dallaslsufan

dallaslsufan Founding Member

Seriously...I will never understand it. Why be such an Ass to fellow tiger fans/Louisiana residents. I will never understand that on this board. He makes a good point and wasn't asking for a smart ass comment. Sorry...I had to post this!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think the success of former player in the NFL has any bearing on the success of LSU this year. And, yes I think that the recruiting has been such that we are sufficiently deep. I don't think there is going to be a drop-off at all. The schedule is tough and will likely prevent an undefeated season, but this team will be better than last year in terms of talent.

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Ramah is...well, Ramah. I've had problems with him but overall he is pretty damn funny even though thats no excuse to tolerate the slamming of other LSU fans.

He probably thought it was a pretty stupid post because quite frankly, so did I. Red pointed out the reasons why. :wink:

6. MarcusQuinn

MarcusQuinn Founding Member

Hey Einstiens, how is it stupid?

When people saw that Mauck was rocketing up the Denver depth chart, there was talk (on this board) of him being better than many gave credit and therefore harder to replace. It is a totally valid question to ask if we have underestimated the losses from '03. If they guys you lose are topping the depth chart in the NFL, it stands to reason that it will be difficult to replace those spots with players equal or better. If they were all NFL busts, you would be more inclined to feel better about the talent coming in to replace them.

Duhhhhhhhh doooodie dooooodie dooooo....la ti dah ti dahhhhhh.....:cuss:

7. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

Ah, to return the glory days when only 1-2 players were drafted, and we could all look with unabashed enthusiasm to "the future".

But the old saying is true: when you're at the top, there's no place to go but down (unless of course you stay at the top). There are those who fear success because then anything less seems like a failure (not accusing the OP of that).

I, for one, as a lifelong tiger fan, would not trade last season for anything.

Obviously our most mature players were among the nation's best. Heck, that's just more affirmation of our dominance last season.

This year's team is different, and a new chemistry must be built. We start again at the bottom, but then again, so does everyone else!

Just think of Nick as a chess grandmaster: always thinking 3 years ahead. Our odds of repeating are as good as they were when we started last year.

Will we be as successful? Only time will tell. But if not, it won't be because we didn't have the players and schemes.

I'll be cheering either way!

8. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

I think

a. we are just starting to see the talent that Saban brought in make it's way to the NFL. No reason to worry, a lot more where that came from.

b. Saban has an NFL-mind, and his players are much better prepared for the jump than most other college players.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We are heading to the days where even some of our part time players will be making the NFL and having an impact. The depth we are getting is what will sustain this program and keep us from returning to being an average team. The amount of guys going to the NFL will keep increasing and shows that Saban knows how to pick his recruits more than anything else and also how much they progress while playing under him and his assistants.

And I agree with DallsLSUfan, Ramah's remarks were unfounded, he has made many more stupid posts on this board than anyone else and to say this thread was stupid was absurd.