GOP Sinatra Tuesday

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Apr 8, 2016.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Latest poll:

Trump 52
    Kasich 25
    Cruz 17

It's a winner take all by congressional district, with 50 % (+1 vote) being the requirement to do it.

Trump has a good chance to win many of the districts, but Kasich is a real problem here, keeping Trump's dominance in the state at around that magical 50 % mark.

Cruz is going to end up in single digits by the time the election is held (April 19). It was pretty embarrassing when he showed up in New York a couple of days ago, getting badgered by New Yorkers for his "New York values" comment he made in a debate 2-3 months ago.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He should get beat up for those comments. Hell I can't imagine I would do well in a primary in Alabama. If you slam a populous you shouldn't expect to do well there.

Election season is way too long. Something should be done about the way we elect people in this country. Shorten the season, cap money on campaign contributions, and we the people should do something about getting a 3rd party that's viable.

3. islstl

Prediction

Trump 59
    Kasich 26
    Cruz 15

Trump gets 91 of the 95 delegates.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A strong #3rd party would be great but what would it be and which end of the political spectrum would the claim to represent? There are lots of alternative parties now but none of them have a large base or much money.

5. LaSalleAve

The middle class. Gary Johnson is probably the best presidential candidate in my entire lifetime but he is not in anyone's pocket so he will never be viable.

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I agree the 3rd party could be built around fiscally conservative and what is now defined as 'socially liberal' policy's. Focal point would be the middle class. Now we have upper class people control the political/government and taking money from middle class people to spend on buying lower class votes. I've considered myself a Libertarian for some time. I like the way that Gov Johnson frames the issues. I mostly agree but would need to hear more discussion on foreign policy.

7. LaSalleAve

Honestly I'm sick of everyone putting foreign policy ahead of American policy. I know foreign policy is important. I just think we should be more concerned with the United States. We should be worried about Americans 1st. Not Syrians, not Pakistanis or Saudis or Israelis.

KyleK and LSUpride123 like this.
  8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I hear ya. I think US economic policy should be first; Jobs Jobs Jobs. A lot of our problems are collateral damage from poverty.

In foreign policy I'm not talking boots on the ground. Although I think we did the Gulf War right - including stopping when we did. We assembled a huge impressive coalition including key middle east partners with everyone contributing resources; a stated goal that was achieved quickly and not expanded. However, the Iraq war was always a mistake. How could there be significant WMD when Saddam killed or ran off all the smart people. As for Afghanistan, history says nation building was never going to work - so we should have done 'the good war' (Obama's words) differently also. But we do need to project strength, and there should be real lines in the sand. Because we and the world are better off with a South Korea rather than a larger North Korea. And we are very economically and socially tied to Europe so what happens there impacts us. And the same is true in Asia at an ever increasing amount. There is a balance that needs to be found. Bush swung to far one way; and Obama swung to far the other way - plus he made some stupid decisions.

But back to Gary Johnson, there is a real good chance I'll pull his lever on election day. I never make my final decision until the last few days.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. islstl

Trump will be pushing 60 % statewide, but I now predict Kasich will take away 4 of the 95 delegates from Trump by doing just well enough in some northern congressional districts, keeping Trump from the magical 50 % mark.

10. islstl

right now with over 60 percent reporting

Trump with a solid chance to take all 95 delegates