GOT A QUESTION FOR A ZEBRA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hub, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

On the first drive of the game for So Cal there was the pass interference call that continued the drive and allowed SC to score on the 60 yd bomb later on.

If I remember right, on that play it was Webster called for the interference. I thought it was interference myself, BUT.

When the pass was delivered someone, I think Gay, stepped in front of it and knocked it away. He was at least 5 yards in front of Webster and the Receiver.

So my question is: Was pass intereference the proper call when the ball never made it to the receiver to even have a chance to catch it. To me it was the equivalent of a d-lineman deflecting a pass at the line.......once that happens all bets are off on interference.

I think i just answered my question myself that it was the wrong call. But i wanted to put it to the experts. Any zebras out there?

2. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

You beat me to it

I was going to post the same question. I think it was James who almost intercepted the ball about two yards infront of where the ref made the call.

I started to doubt myself when announcers did not give it a second thought, and Saban did not appear to be that angry about the call.

3. OregonGamecock

OregonGamecock Freshman

I did not see the game so I can not say exactly what happened. But here is the definition of "Defensive Pass Interference" as I have come to understand it: If the defensive player holds or grabs the receiver and keeps him from making the reception /or keeps the receiver from getting to the ball then he has committed interference.
    Now, from what ya'll have described, he did commit interference because (now this is the way a ref sees it, I have had several conversations with the zebras on this) if Webster had not held him then the receiver would have gotten to the ball before the other defensive player or would have had a better shot at getting the ball if the interference would not have been committed. Do you see where I am going with this? It is hard to explain when you have to type it..... LOL
    Hope this helps some, CONGRATS on a fantastic win. I will be pulling for ya'll to win out the rest of the season.

4. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

As a Defensive player you can not jam, hit, or create contact with a WR or TE, 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. If you do, no matter where the ball lands or thrown it can and will be called either interference, illegal contact, or Defensive holding depending on the type of contact.

It doesn't matter if the ball is deflected, if contact is being made 5 yards down the field, it is still a penality. Just like if you run the ball to the right side, and a WR is holding a guy 35 yards away on the left side . . . it is still holding. The only time interfernce can be avoided is if both the WR and DB are going for the ball and the ball is thrown out of the reach of either the WR or DB, and contact is made (usually they just let it go). But if one of the players can reach the ball, and contact is made, then it can be interference. It can get somewhat subjective, but I saw the play you are talking about, and it was a good call (poor D play by LSU, on that play).

All the calls against LSU were on the money, they played a very poor first half . . . tons of mental mistakes. I could be wrong, but I bet Saban will say the same thing in any interview. It was frustrating to see so many flags thrown against the Tigers, but they earned every flag they got. 7 of the first 8 penalities were all mental errors. They corrected this at half time.

And we played USC (South Carolina), not SC (Southern Cal).

Just remember, when you see that many penalities, it is more often than not caused by players being in the wrong place and stupid mental errors. Anyone who has played, coached, or refed, would tell you that. But as a fan, it looks like the refs are out to get you. Watch a replay of the game and you will notice Saban yelling at players and not refs after calls in the first half.

I hope that helps.

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Not quite, it does matter if it has been touched. This is long bare with me. TeamA is offense, TeamB is defense.

NCAA 2002 Football Rules:

Rule 7: Snapping and Passing
    Section 3: Forward Pass
    Article 8: Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

A RTICLE 8.

a. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team Aand Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official (A.R. 7-3-8-II and III).

b . O ffensive pass interference by a Team Aplayer beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not offensive pass interference if it is the type that occurs (A.R. 7-3-8-VI, VII, XIII, XVIIIand XIX):

1 . When, after the snap, a Team Aplayer immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than three yards beyond the neutral zone.

2 . When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-XII).

3 . When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.

c . Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown. It is not defensive pass interference if it is the type that occurs
    (A.R. 7-3-8-I, IV, V, IX-XI, XIV and XV):

1 . When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.

2 . When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-XII).

3 . When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-XIII).

P E N A LT Y—Pass interference by Team A: 15 yards from the previous spot [S33]. Pass interference by Team B: Team A’s ball at the spot of the foul, first down, if the foul occurs less than 15 yards beyond the previous spot. If the foul occurs 15 or more yards beyond the previous spot, Team A’s ball, first down, 15
    yards from the previous spot [S33]. When the ball is snapped between the Team B 17-yard line and the Team B two-yard line and the spot of the foul is beyond the two-yard line, the penalty from the previous spot shall place the ball at the two-yard line, first down (A.R. 7-3-8-XVII).

No penalty enforced from outside the two-yard line may
    place the ball inside the two-yard line (E x c e p t i o n : R u l e
    10-2-2 - g - 2 ) .

If the previous spot was on or inside the two-yard line, first
    down halfway between the previous spot and the goal line
    (Rule 10-2-3 Exception).

Here is the good stuff
    Contact Interference

A RTICLE 9. a. Either Team Aor Team B legally may interfere with opponents behind the neutral zone.

b . Players of either team legally may interfere beyond the neutral zone after the pass has been touched (A.R. 7-3-9-II).

c . Defensive players legally may contact opponents who have crossed the neutral zone if the opponents are not in a position to receive a catchable forward pass.

1 . Those infractions that occur during a down when a forward pass crosses the neutral zone are pass interference infractions only if the receiver had the opportunity to receive a catchable forward pass.

2 . Those infractions that occur during a down when a forward passdoes not cross the neutral zone are Rule 9-3-4 infractions and are penalized from the previous spot.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Having said all that, I dont think it was the right call, but still should have been a penalty. Contact is only legal AFTER the pass has been touched. I think Gay (or whoever) didnt get a hand on the ball until after Webster made contact. I think the correct call would have been holding on Webster, not interference.

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Thanks for posting all that info. It certainly cleared up the rule in my mind.

The Tigers played very poor, sloppy football in the 1st half. I wouldn't say he refs put us in that position, as much as the Tigers did it to themselves. I was expecting some type of letdown in this game . . . thankfully they turned it around at half and played as a team.

I just wanted to make sure fans were not blaming the refs for our 1st half poor showing. When you watch a game, without a stake in it, it is easier to see the calls as fair. Like I said before, I bet the coaches would say the Tigers were not focused in the 1st half, whcih lead to so many flags.

Anyway, great game and thanks again for clearing all that up.