Got a Question?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScottyB28, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

On every other forum that I know of, the bold posts (titles) are the ones that have new threads that you have'nt read yet, and the ones that are'nt bold are the ones that you have read and there is yet to be a new post on it. On this Forum it is kinda wierd. Every time I get on it is all screwed up. Can someone explain this to me.

2. philter

philter Founding Member

Explain what you mean by 'all screwed up' and I'll see if I can explain why...because what you described above is how this forum works as well.

3. ScottyB28

Sorry, Im kinda drunk. They will have some that I have read already with no new posts that will be bold and some that I have read with new posts that wont be bold. I dont understand it.

4. ScottyB28

On other forums I would just go to the bold threads because thats the ones with new posts. This one is not working that way.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Scotty,

If I close my web browser and come back onto the forum then all threads are bold/unread again for me. Is that what you mean?

It's not supposed to do that but for some reason this particular forum does it. I've tried different browser platforms as well. Nothing resolves it.

On the other hand, I go to several other vBulletin based forums and they all work properly. For TigerForums, I just leave the browser minimized. Only fix I know. sigh

6. philter

philter Founding Member

It works properly for me, check that you don't have some kind of cookie manager running. Also, if you are clicking on the 'latest post' link to an indivdual thread, try just clicking on the subject. When you go back to the forum main page, are you hitting the back button or clicking on the "The Tiger's Den" link above? If you are hitting the back button, you are likely seeing a cached version of the main page...and that would not change very often depending on your browser settings.

7. LSUGradin99

Philter, it works properly..... Until I close my browser and come back. The cookie monster is not the problem either. :)

8. philter

philter Founding Member

You can solve this by using this function:

http://www.tigerforums.com/forumdisplay.php?do=markread

This will mark all forums read however. I've noticed the problem you speak of, although it is not annoying to me. I would guess it is a configuration issue with the vB admin options but I'd have to see the config to know.

9. LSUGradin99

Useless "fix" there heh... It's convenient to know what I have read and not read. Especially when I am looking for new philter posts/threads to edit/censor/delete. :D

Here is a thread I started about this a while back:
    http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=16881

10. philter

philter Founding Member

Not useless to me, I don't like to keep every thread for which I haven't read bolded...I only want to see new threads/posts as bold when I come back, that way I can tell exactly which threads are new or which prior threads have new posts. (if I didn't read them the first time I saw them I could care less about them the next time I come back :) )

I do not use vB much because it's not free, but it could be a bug in the 3.0.xx versions or a configuration problem. It is not a user problem because it happens to me as well.