GoT Season 5 (warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 12, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's a good point. They are all way older now than they are in the books. Tommen is supposed to be like 5 or 6 and he is banging Margery. I think Robb was only supposed to be around 16 when he was betrayed at The Twins. The North Remembers.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So far I like season 5. The story keeps moving along unlike the plodding and rambling books 4 and 5. They have tighter plotting and cut out a bunch of superfluous characters and dead-end story lines that Martin is obsessed with. Better to tell the stories of the interesting characters we like than keep introducing odd new characters that confuse the story. Gone is Arys Oakheart and his fizzled-out story. They combined a lot of characters we already know rather than introducing new ones. Sansa with the minor character that Ramsey Snow married in the books; Varys with Connington; Jaqen H’ghar with the Kindly Old Man.

I guess you objected to the Sansa story line. Something needed to happen with her. All she has done so far for 5 books is just piss me off and be stupid and helpless. She's my favorite to be killed off next. Sooner the better. More time for Tyrion and Arya.

3. LaSalleAve

Yes, completely object unless Sansa is now going to rip apart the Boltons/Freys from inside. If she makes Frey pies like Manderlays arc called for and turns in a Lady Stoneheart herself, i'm good with the changes.

4. red55

Martin should have never brought Catelyn back as a zombie. What bullshit. I never liked the whole Dondarion arc anyway. I hope she is done. Brienne and Pod are much more interesting and Lady Stoneheart hangs them in the book.

5. LaSalleAve

I don't disagree with you. I just like her because she kills Freys and I like the Brienne and Jaime arc and how they are tied together. I don't like the whole Sansa in winterfell thing unless she starts doing what Stoneheart and Wyman Manderlay do in the books. That is a change I think that could actually be cooler than in the book if it's done correctly.

6. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

7. LaSalleAve

Is Ser Barristan dead? It would suck that the greatest living knight gets killed by Sons of the Harpy. Also you can't tell me Loras' arc wasn't changed to create a similarity between today's religious beliefs about homosexuality and what's happening in the show. I hate what they have done with Loras. He is a bad ass in the books that happens to eat a dick every now and then, in the show, he's just a whiney fag.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Not much point in having Barriston around in the show. He was never flushed out. Anyone can be the wise sage with knowledge of Westeros. Tyrion can serve that role, and Daario can protect her.

9. red55

It looks like he and Gray Worm are both dead, but they were only stabbed, not beheaded, so we can't tell. The Unsullied may be badasses in open combat, but they aren't very good in an urban guerrilla ambush.

Sansa is being set up for a revenge arc and she grows colder, darker and far less naive. Cerise is trying to isolate Margaery by sending her father to Braavos, imprisoning her brother, and demonstrating how weak Tommen really is. But she is opening a real can of worms with the Sparrows.

They are also making Stannis much more noble and admirable which means that he is either about to show a dark side or be killed. Probably both.

Jorah will buy himself back into her inner circle with Tyrion and possibly Varys. She will then have the cleverest Lannister and the Spider of all Spiders now working for her instead of Kings Landing. All thanks to Ser Jorah.

fanatic likes this.
  10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I really like how the show is coming together especially after the last episode. I finally think I figured out who/where John Snow is from too. I always suspected but couldn't figure out why.

As for Red's post above...I think Gray Worm is still alive but nothing to confirm but I do think they confirmed Barriston was confirmed dead on the preview for the next episode. I believe I read before that Sansa will be merging her role with Lady Stoneheart which should be interesting if true.

As for Jorah...I remember him in being in the combat arena on a season preview. Maybe he could win his place back onto her side? Not sure...But bringing Tyrion to her might not be all it takes to win back his place by her side.