Got to get Shepard going into this offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 10, 2010.

1. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

I really think he's best on short routes. Screens, quick slants, crossing routes, curls.. anything that lets him use his superior speed, agility, and vision.

2. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

I agree...would love to see him touch the ball. Problem is that he hasn't been consistent receiving and when we've run him lately it's been pretty obvious. If you're going to keep running that reverse to him, you need to fake it now and then and let JJ keep it around the weak side maybe.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The only thing I would have changed about our offense tonight would be using Jarrett Lee more between the 10's. and using him on 3rd and long. I would also throw a little more on 1st downs, i think we ran the ball 17 out of 18 times on first down. we are going to be able to go play action out of the I or ace formation. I gotta give JJ credit though, pretty good make up play on the busted one for the touchdown, a few good throws, and a few bad ones, but he proved that he can be an asset.

As far as Shep, we should probably run a bubble screen when he is lined up in the slot, he doesn't have the route running skills, or the hands just yet to be a deep threat, he should be used like Wes Welker.

4. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Don't you think that when we bring in JJ in the red zone we've pretty much shown our hand and it then becomes a physical contest of wills in a way? The last drive for example, keeping Lee in won us the game. Don't know what type of scenario would have played out with JJ. I think it was fortunate that we had the FG option to tie it, that gave us two throws to the endzone and I don't remember us doing a whole lot of passing inside the 10 yardline this year.

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I think the general opinion that everyone has is that they "want him to get the ball more". But the reason I posted that is not to say he's a bad player, or even that it's wrong, but does that have to be a focus on offense? I'm not so sure he has to be.

Like I said, Ridley has been fantastic this year, the passing game is starting to improve quite a bit. Even the backup running backs have filled in pretty well.

The only way Shepard is getting the ball is on a reverse, designed run, or a short pass. He hasn't shown the ability to be a true receiver.

Lasalle, I agree with the idea, but I don't think the execution would work. I don't think JJ can consistently get him the ball without him having to bend over, or jump, or whatever. He never seems to throw it at the receivers body. If Lee is QB, it's a giveaway to the D that we are passing anyway. They won't be fooled after the 1st or 2nd try, because 3 WR's on one side is really the only way to run it, and it's easy to spot.

That's why I think returning punts is best for him. It gives PP a break, and it's the best way for Shepard to get in a situation that suits his running style.

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

Les probably isnt aware of this. You should email him.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Extremely bad play calling yet again tonight....Miles should have taken plays away from Toliver and given them to Shepard.

What was numbnuts Miles thinking?....that Toliver was an a hot streak or something????
    :hihi: