Gotta love preseason rankings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, May 4, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Most early polls are just a parade for last year's accomplishment. This one is putting only 3 SEC teams in with Arky slipping by at #23. Mallett plus Petrino equals top 25, otherwise Arky has a lot of questions to answer this year.

Bama vs Florida is old hat. We've never been to the SECCG without the opponent being the Gators (that is seven times and counting.) We may get to play them twice if things go well. Our defense will surprise and the strength will be D-line

LSU and Auburn have more talent then Arky, and the attrition rate could be high in the west. I think Les stands by his convictions enough that it again boils down to crimson and purple in BR on a Saturday (maybe not night, cbs is going to want it.)

4. dudley

dudley oops!

Afternoon on CBS I've read. Are you going to bring your Alabama High School officials with you?

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I read somewhere yesterday that Florida and Alabama are something like 33-3 in conference play the past few years, with two of the three losses coming against each other... the other loss when Ole Miss upset the Gators.

When conferences start "looking" top heavy, ala the Ohio State/Michigan days or the Texas/Oklahoma dominance, it becomes more difficult for other conference teams to get any "poll respect".

This year's lack of respect for SEC teams outside of Bama/Florida may be a reflection of that type of media thinking. Trust me, we know that type of thinking waaaayyy too well.

6. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope this doesn't throw our tailgating off too much.

No high school officials this time, but in Bama Land we are constantly thinking outside the box. It's our edge.

Sneak peek at this year's unveiling.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

SEC teams are in a somewhat unique situation in college football, in that the Top 25 rankings really don't matter all that much. In all likelihood if you win the conference you will be playing for the NC, finish 2nd and you're getting to a BCS bowl. If you take care of business you'll be where you want to be at season's end. It just gets annoying when you see downright stupid picks in these lists.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Only 3 SEC teams in the top-25? How likely is that going to be? This is just backlash against SEC dominance.

Arkansas is going to have its hands full with LSU and so is Bama and Florida. Bama lost a ton of starters and people think they are going to step right back into the drivers seat and cruise to another trophy?

I don't.

When teams start having to win real games, the SEC will end up with 2 in the top 10 and 3-4 more in the top-25

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Not ranking LSU in the top 25 is just plain stupid. LSU should be ranked in the 12-18 range. Im not too concerned about where we start, although its always better to start off high in case you lose. Which being in the SEC is most likely. That said, lets be honest here. LSU isnt getting as much respect by the media, but its warranted. LSU has gone 0-4 against Bama and UF the last two years. As well as 8-8 in the conference during that stretch. The perception is LSU has fallen off the elite status. Which the proof is in the pudding that there is a slip up in the last two years. Another factor is that LSU has imploded at the end of the last two years.

On to the present. LSU has as much natural talent as Bama or UF. We just have to get back to the basics. Which I believe Miles is trying to do. This is a telling year for Miles and LSU. Both Bama and UF will be falling off as Red has mentioned. Its up to LSU to catch them, proving we still belong at the top. So the preseason polls are irrelevant. I dont think I can ever remember this much parity to start a season of college football. With so many teams losing major stars. Bama should be at the top but they have to stay there, which wont be easy.

10. CrimsonKid

CrimsonKid #1 Alabama: 14-0!

I always have a good laugh at these preseason rankings.