Government investigating BCS....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Apr 18, 2008.

1. oracle2380

oracle2380 Founding Member

I think the problem isn't in the actual potential investigation of the BCS/NCAA. It the statements made by the congress men on why they want to investigate. If they had said that they were going to conduct an investigation based purely upon our country's anti-trust laws, then I'm all for it. Once they brought up the inequities of the bowl system, and tooted about it's unfairness, their constituents' biases were revealed.

2. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

The BCS isn't perfect, but if anyone remembers before it, trying to figure out who the MNC was about as ridiculous as trying to say who the prettiest girl in high school was. The gov't forcing college football into a tournament sounds great! I hope that it makes the college football regular season as exciting as college basketball's regular season:rofl:. I like the idea of a plus one for now, basically a 4 team playoff. Money drives sports, at almost every level, the only real cure is to make money obsolete, and since we're not joining the federation any time soon (I know, star trek reference?), then we should try and do the best we can.

Involving the government in the affairs of schools and bashing the NCAA (they provide a lot of scholarship money and administrative support for college athletics in every sport, regardless of their being idiots in some cases) is misguided, as the bowls realistically have more to do with the development of the BCS than the NCAA.

Please, don't let uncle sam ruin college football, like they ruin everything else they touch:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

1 person likes this.
  3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Here is the Georgia Congressman, Lynn Westmoreland.:lol:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0X6ktpE34[/media]

4. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

jeez, war in Iraq, huge budget deficits, and these guys are wasting our money investigating the BCS and steroids in baseball?

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

not that I condone government intervention, but for discussion's sake, if the government doesn't fix it, who will ?

the NCAA? ..... not a chance. They don't have the stones or the budget to tackle the major conferences who currently enjoy the lion's share of the spoils.

the media? ...... hardly ..... they're basically the one's that currently have the largest level of influence, which they openly use to obtain the most desirable matchups, financially speaking. They aren't going to change a thing.

the fans? ...... the fans aren't loyal to their sport, they're loyal to only their own teams.

the bowls? .... keep dreaming .....

6. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I just don't see where it's the goverment's place to intervene in an entertainment venue.

And if they want to staighten out a sport (which I still think is not the goverment's place), how about boxing, with it's 4 world champions in every weight classes.

7. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

A playoff similar to 1-AA would go a long way to solving the problem. The government has no buisness in this. Even if they are invenstigating anti-trust issuses, I don't see how they could alleviate the problem. The major schools are entrenched as big time buisnesses with multimillion dollar budgets. The smaller schools can't compete with it and that won't change.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Nice try but who do you think will end up paying for this overhaul when it's all said and done. Congress won't be footing the bill. The NCAA and all the Universities will get that distinction. Not only only raising ticket prices through the roof to the point of no one can afford to them to some schools actually dismantling their football teams.
    But the point here isn't about whether you agree with the BCS or a +1 or a total playoff system... it's about once again Big Gov't sticking their noses where there's no business to stick it.
    Our country will not shut down if the BCS is not changed... our country will not change if steroids survive and stay in sports, and our country will survive regardless of the mitchel report or the outcome of the Patriots cheating scandal. But our country is in serious trouble with the drug issue, housing issue, current damn close to recession issue and every country of arabic descent wanting us dead. Our leaders need to deal with the real issues and leave the sports and entertainment issue alone.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think there is a case to be made that the most powerful players in college football aren't interested in a fair system to crown a national champion / distribute money more fairly. There are definitely more important things to deal with, but the US government can deal with a number of things at once. I do believe in small government, but most universities are public institutions. College football is big business and should be subject to review.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

While you may be correct... it's obvious that this "issue" was only brought up because these guys are bitter over their schools rankings and where they ended up. Had UGA or Hawaii been in the NC you wouldn't be hearing this arguement now... just like if if these guys were USC or LSU fans it'd be a mute point.
    Again, their using their biased opinions to abuse their power because they feel their schools were short changed.