Government investigating BCS....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Apr 18, 2008.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

:rolleye33:

[​IMG]

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I think there's a lot of merit to your position, but the counterpoint that many like to make is really the point that is at the heart of the entire matter.

Big college sports is a full-fledged business, churning out millions of dollars in tax-exempt profits. Some feel that adequate taxation would benefit the integrity of the sport and redeem the need for focus on academics. Let's face it, these players generate millions of dollars in critical revenues ...... and they deserve more than they currently get out of the deal.

3. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Both of these points represent ways for Washington to get its hands on additional revenues. But the first one, paying taxes might help the integrity of the sport and provide redemption?:huh:

Caddy, where did you get that snippet?

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Interesting thread here but I'll never understand how some always think the government is the answer to solve the worlds problems.
    IMHO maybe they should clean up their own back yard first.
    This shows what Congress priorities really are, every VOTER should vote these clowns who participate in these sports probes right out of office.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Like I said, just for discussion's sake .... :yelwink2:

Tax-revenues would fund the proper management and oversight of a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry. Dunno if you've noticed or not, but there aren't too many industries that are the size of the collegiate sports entertainment industry that aren't subject to some level of government oversight.

Personally, I'm for small government, and I'm generally opposed to regulating most industries. But I can also acknowledge that a minority group of block-voting University Presidents are preventing the progress of the game in order to protect their profits. The integrity of the sport is compromised, and there are many contributing athletes that never have an honest shot at obtaining thier academic benefit.

IMHO, if the NCAA were a publicly-traded company, it's directors would be immediately indicted ..... ala Enron, Tyco, WorldCom ......

1 person likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Isn't this the way the gubment works? :insane: :wink:

7. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Yes. The country is terrible shape. Chaos around the bend. As evidenced by the congressional attention to the two biggest problems in America today - steroids in baseball and the BCS process.

How embarassing.

I guess the economy really isn't all that bad?

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

So everything else goes on hold while we deal with a few important issues?

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

It's a good point. Congress has the capacity to govern across a large span of issues.

I guess I'm just not interested in Congress meddling in college football. Anti trust laws?

Again. Embarassing.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Yes but that has absolutely nothing to with these guys anting the NCAA investigated because they feel Hawaii and UGA got short changed. I can understand (to a degree) going after a share of monies for so called taxation purposes... but to investigate the NCAA and force a playoff has nothing to do with any of that... it's just sour grapes by a couple of guys who want to defend their so called cheated universities. Hell no one did this when Auburn got burned or when OU was put in the game over USCw.