Government Shutdown: Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 7, 2011.

?

Who's to blame for the looming government shutdown?

1. Dems

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. GOP

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. The White House

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Tea Partiers

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Media

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well then, since you went to a rally and presumably talked to or listened to every single TPer in the country I guess you are entitled to label the entire bunch as simpletons.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

This is the only way they'll reduce spending.

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

You realize his budget got ripped to pieces because it was total bull**** right? So no, it wasn't meaningful.

4. asignupe99

This is misleading as well. It's been a couple of decades since the last time the government has not gone into a new fiscal year under at least two continuing resolutions. The status quo now is to sit on it. Nowadays, they don't hash it out until the post-holiday congressional sessions even though budgets had been introduced damn near a year prior. What's occurring now is unprecedented however.

So even when Republicans controlled both houses, they sat on their hands instead of forcing something through as well. When Republicans inevitably control both again, they will do the same thing.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

No, you think it's bs. And because it exists, it is more meaningful than what anyone else has done. People like you can't face the facts of the fiscal crisis we're in.

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

We are to blame; you and me; we elected these cowards.

The Dems wimped out last year - really gutless when you have all the power levers and you don't have the balls to pull them for whatever you believe in. The regular Repubs are afraid to piss off the TPs. They spent two years as the ugly red headed step children and don't want to go back.

I'm not a Tea Party guy, I don't agree with everything they say but at least the TPs have the guts to stand up for what they believe in. I think they know more than they are given credit for; but I doubt they know enough to decide whether or not a government shutdown is the right way to go.

The White House is in campaign mode, more worried about getting votes than getting out in front of this.

The media is what they always have been, a mirror reflection of us from a point of view that is 10 to 40 years out of date. And of course the reflection is colored by their own beliefs.

Things will get tougher; if not during this 'budget Crisis' then certainly during the next one.

7. joker

joker Founding Member

Anyone who thinks this is anyone's fault but the Democrats is full of ****. They could or should have done this last year but they played politics and were scared of the upcoming election and put it off....thankfully.

Now we finally have some representatives that appear to finally listening to the voters and acting like adults and making cuts in the budget. The big government liberals can't stand it even though our country is going to implode with the continued spending.

The government needs to shut down. It's too big, inefficient and grown to dangerous levels far beyond what the founding fathers ever envisioned.

BTW, a little lesson on the earmarks situation. It's not that the Tea Party thinks that the actual savings of the earmarks is what is important, it's the bribery aspect of voting for spending legislation that would never have a chance of passing if not for getting their little cut.

Cut out the earmark and these scum bag politicians have much less interest in voting for more spending and bigger government.

8. asignupe99

That's where you're wrong. You assumed based on my comment about this singular issue that I'm some liberal supporter, when I'm not. I think every member of congress is at fault to a degree...and I happen to believe Ryan's budget plan was bull****...not because of the cuts...but because the math used to arrive at his final figure was flawed. That's why noone is talking about it or him.

They're all at fault. They're all playing politics. Dems, Repubs, Tea Partiers, all of em. They all deserve to be sent home. The right is jockeying to get Obama out in 2012. The left is jockeying to make the right look bad so it will be a repeat of 96. The teapartiers, while full of energy and actually do have decent ideals, have not yet learned the art of negotiating in the sense that everyone can't get everything they want. That's not how deals are done. Everyone CAN get SOME of the things they want.

I'm sick of all of them saying they're speaking for the American people. No you're not. None of them truly represent a majority of the American people. Meet somewhere in the middle and quit trying to be the only kids allowed to play in the sandbox at the playground. It's disgusting.

Shut down the government. Some of you guys talk about shutting down the government like it's a thing. There are over two million people directly affected by this. And as the saying goes, shlt flows down hill so it trickles down to many hundreds of thousands more.

I've been with the feds since 1996. In that time, we have never gone into a fiscal year with a budget in place. It's always multiple continuing resolutions. In the years before I got in government, it was the same way. Saying the Dems should've gotten it done last year is erroneous. Period.

I don't like congress playing around with my livelihood while they continue on with business as usual. I think they should be term limited. I do not believe they should receive a lifelong pension. I do not believe they should be paid during a shutdown (the House will as of now). I believe their should be a limit on the number of wealthy congressmen. A House and Senate full of wealthy folks, many of whom have always been wealthy, cannot truly understand the plight of the less fortunate. They can afford to miss a few checks (even though they won't) while everyday feds like me need every dime we're entitled to.

I don't blame the media. I don't blame "us" because we elected from what was available. And it seems no matter who we elect, Washington always changes them. I do blame both sides and Obama. One side says politics are being played with the military. The other side says politics are being played with women's rights. In the end, we suffer while they try to see who can piss the farthest.

I can't stand cock measuring contests while people's lives are at stake. Mines is bigger than all of theirs anyway.:wave:

1 person likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I guess you have no problem with putting military wives and children out on the streets.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yep.

MAJOR ISSUE. Everytime some party wins a small majority they act like they have a mandate when half of the country is against them.

I think when they allow the government to be shut down, sitting congressmen should be terminated and new elections set.

Mine is so big, light bends around it.