Government Shutdown: Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 7, 2011.

?

Who's to blame for the looming government shutdown?

1. Dems

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. GOP

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. The White House

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Tea Partiers

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Media

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i like that idea. if i dont do my job... ok, i work for myself, so im not sure i could fire myself. but you get the drift. bottom line is, congress is not doing their job. i hope every incumbent, even those that are first termers, are out on their ass next election. i really am sick of this ****.

at first i thought that read "mine is so light....".

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i do, but why are they being singled out?

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

they arent cowards. they wimped out because when they rammed the healthcare legislation thru without GOP votes, they got slaughtered in the midterms. they could have rammed it through the lame duck session i suppose but then other half would be even more pissed than they are now.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Thank you Nancy Pelosi.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You are welcome Barry Goldwater.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Because Congress has yet to appropriate money for soldiers paychecks past a couple weeks from now.

Both parties really are to blame. The Democrats had no excuse to not get this done last year and the current crop of Republicans are simply doing whatever it takes to try and make the President look bad, just like they did to Bill Clinton. Anyone who made a "C" in High School Civics knows that Congress is responsible for constructing and submitting a budget. Until Obama refuses to sign a reasonable submitted budget, it's not his fault.

At this point, there is a $5 billion gap between the two in the cuts they have agreed to make ($30 billion in cuts), which is like a thousandth of a percent of the budget. Republicans want cuts on abortion funding and environmental regulations and Democrats want them to stay in the budget. Both of them need to cut this **** out. $5 billion isn't going to make a bit of difference.

7. LaSalleAve

I can't believe I am actually doing this, and being the partisan hack I am, I feel obligated to point this out, but the Democrats could have funded the Military for the remainder of the year but blocked a bill doing so. They should have done as much. Even though I believe the GOP was using the Military as a pawn.

Both parties are at fault here, not just one.

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

It was a stupid move by the dems to not fund the military paychecks and remove this as a issue in the next election.
    I thought that abortion was not funded by tax money. Why would there be money in the budget to planned parenthood whose sole purpose is abortion? Why do we need abortion when there is a morning after pill?

9. LaSalleAve

Dude quit listening to the Michelle Bachmans of the world, Planned Parenthood main focus is not abortions, and the abortions they are affiliated with come from private donations, you know those things Republicans love. It's main focus is preventing unwanted pregnancy in the first place. It also focuses on STD's and safe sex.

But I do agree with you, for the sake of compromise I would have voted for the bill the pay for the military throughout the year. That is one way the democrats could have shown they are willing to work with the other side, even though I feel it was just for show.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This only put off the budget for a week. The GOP wants to prolong this for political reasons. It keeps the Obama government from working effectively.

There is no federal funding of abortion. They want to get rid of planned parenthood because the right wing doesn't believe in contraception. They want millions of unwanted children to be born and immediately become wards of the state for 18 years in the foster system . . . which they don't want to pay for either. Total hypocrites.