Government Shutdown: Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 7, 2011.

?

Who's to blame for the looming government shutdown?

1. Dems

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. GOP

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. The White House

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Tea Partiers

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Media

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Does personal responsibility even enter your or PP's thinking? I'm conservative and I am a big fan of contraception.

Link

They receive govt funding. They perform abortions. Don't do the abortions and this would not be an issue.

Of course, this is redundancy in services since we have the new PPACA, right? I am sure that we can cut of all funding to PP, since people can now use their new insurance to pay for it. ;)

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure. Does collective responsibility ever enter into yours?

3. KyleK

of course, just not the point I was making my friend.

To say that
    is being disingenuous.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

That's the same kind of generalized statement that you have blasted me for making. I am a conservative and I believe in contraceptive. You would have told me I made that up. I think this is stupid to be fighting over. I do see the point of it though. Planned parenthood uses their goverment money to pay the rent and then the rest of their money to provide abortion. By the federal government paying the bills planned parenthood has the ability to pay for abortion. If you take a drug addict and pay all his living expenses he then can use any other money to buy dope. You can say that the person paying the bills is paying for the dope because his money enables the addict to buy the drugs. Same principle here.Tax dollars enable planned parenthood the ability to provide abortion. You would think that abortion would have been no longer needed when a pill can do the same thing instead of something like late term abortion where a child only a month from being born has his brains sucked out because his life is not worth living and is worthless to somebody else. The morning after pill I agree with but late term abortion I do not. A person that gets told that their baby will have something like cerebral palsey a couple weeks before it's birth and decides to kill the baby for it is a freking murderer.If my tax dollars are used to enable this to happen I am guilty for it also.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

if the abortions are 3% of what planned parenthood does, then the overwhelming good of what they do in prevention and family planning is not a small thing. it prevents pregnancy and abortions.

no matter how one feels about abortion, how can we tell someone "just dont do it" when it is legal? the more we prevent those abortions in the first place, the better. isnt that a goal? it seems to me that cutting what prevents them is going to lead to more, defeating the goal of making them unnecessary.

as a woman, i want to see family planning and contraceptives more available and affordable so that women will not feel the need to have an abortion. any taking away that access will only cause more.

6. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

You realize that all types of organizations receive federal funding for certain functions even though they might also perform other functions deemed illegal to fund by the government right? For instance, we will obligate funds for a new hospital or school or town hall, etc., but Louisiana, being a bayou state makes new construction difficult because of the abundance of wetlands. However, if the recipient can access funds through other non-federal means to mitigate the wetlands, we will gladly obligate funds to that recipient to fulfill the purpose of their project. In order to be in compliance, that recipient must be able to show in a certified budget that federal funds were not used in anyway to mitigate wetlands...including dirt fills, purchasing credits from the Corps of Engineers, etc. Violation of the statute comes with a hefty fine and possible jailtime depending on how egregious the act is.

So in regard to Planned Parenthood, they can absolutely operate with federal funds as long as they show no federal funds were used to fund abortions...and they can. They do it every year because they get reviewed every year by a certified compliance officer. I am not a partisan hack, but this is absolutely misleading by the Repubs. What they are doing is making everyday citizens, like you, think that PP is funding abortions with federal dollars...and they're not. What they ARE funding with federal dollars is sex education to include contraception and abstinence...but not abortions. Otherwise they would not be in operation, they would be in jail. I understand and respect the right wing stance against abortions, but confusing folks to pass blame is ridiculous and constitutes fear mongering...even the king himself Karl Rove said as much.

And for the record, I know the Dems do it to. They prey on the confusion of the meek too. The problem is, they don't have the balls to actually take action. They absolutely should pass legislation to fund the military. Absolutely. But I understand where they are coming from. No organization can operate effectively on week to week budgets. No federal agency should have to. The problem is, the bill in question also includes the language to defund PP, which the Dems won't bend on.

7. KyleK

I don't disagree with your statement. My comments were more along the line of the compromise you were talking about earlier.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

how so? if federal funds are not being used for abortions, then being that abortions are legal, the group is free do do what they want with private funds. if giving them federal dollars for pregnancy prevention prevents abortions, then hopefully some day it will be less of what they do with private dollars. and less. because by using federal funds to prevent unwanted pregnancy, a larger goal of reducing abortions is also met.

a compromise of cutting funding elsewhere so the funding of preventing abortion in the first place (by funding planned parenthood to continue prevention) is indeed a compromise, imo.

if the overall goal of the right is to not have abortions, we need to make it so women dont feel the need. by cutting services to poor women, we are doing the opposite.

9. red55

Then let me rephrase . . . They want to withdraw funding for contraception which will result in vastly increased numbers of unwanted children to be born. They do this without regard that most of these unwanted children will become become wards of the state for 18 years in the foster system. A system that they also do not wish to fund.

10. red55

Then you may blast me in return. :biggrin2: It's an argument forum!

Then why do you think PP should be unfunded?

No, the government was smarter than that. PP has a complex budget and it is carefully segregated so that federal funding does not support those budget categories that affect abortions.

Late term abortions are exceedingly rare and are only legal to protect the health of the mother. Nobody approves of them, but they are sometimes necessary to save a mother's life. Anti-abortion advocates do not recognize these exceptions.

Let me ask you something. You are adamantly against government interference in our lives, yet you think that the government should be allowed to interfere in this most intimate family decision? It should be between a woman, her doctors, and her religious beliefs. It should never be decided by a government or someone else's religious beliefs.