Grades for the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Winston1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Just more information for those massed at the cliff ready to jump that 1) The game was not badly coached and 2) That what we saw in Jennings was just the beginning not the finished product.
    BTW I hope it was better written than mine...he got paid for it and I hope didn't compose it of the top of his head.
    Finally and then????

LSUDad and TigerTap like this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

FIFY

StaceyO likes this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I gotta question anyone who can't criticize the QB play we saw yesterday - are you just here to play patty-cake? In the Miles era, Mett is a huge anomalie. I am encouraged with Cameron coaching up our qbs, just hope he isn't polishing turds (relative to top QBs in college football).

Game 1 into the post-Mett era, no passing game to speak of, sacks were as bad or worse. We all like facts around here, right?

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There is every reason to criticize the QB play yesterday. Look at my grade. The difference between criticism and many of the reactions in evidence about Jennings is that people jumped to conclusions about the future based on one game, in the rain, a true freshman's first start, against the 7th ranked D in college football that we ran all over.
    Critique the footwork, slow decision making, etc but don't call him JJ or blast Miles and Cam that this is the future. Step back from the cliff.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Personally, I would point you to my reply, #20, in the "Jennings was supposed to be mobile" thread. I would argue that it is our expectations that are the problem, not AJ. It was his first start as a true reshmen in a bowl game for a perennial top tier team. Nerves, lack of true game experience, etc were unsurprising issues. Combine that w/fanbase relativity to Mett, JJ and other recent QBs and the bar may be set too high regarding realistic expectations. The recent good and bad relative experiences that we have had w/those QBs molds our perceptions and sets us up for "setting the bar too high" expectations. In other words, dude will come around, just give him some time, be patient, and let him mature. He's AJ, not JJ.

LSUDad, TigerTap and Winston1 like this.
  6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Plus pancakes!

7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

image.jpg

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Criticize all you want, it's warranted. But damn, that game thread was over the top.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Yet one supposedly LSU fan posted on the BR link that the dominating rushing game by LSU was typical Miles' "kindergarten football". I just don't get the mentality of today's football fans. Why is a last minute A&M win over Duke of all schools considered a great electrifying win and LSU's domination of a decent Iowa team considered an ugly win? Why do fans prefer a 55-54 game over a smash-mouth 24-21 game? The sports analysts do it too. A&M, Georgia, Okie St., Oregon, etc all get major props for being great teams. None has matched LSU's success over the last 10 years and none have even one NC but LSU always takes the brunt of criticism. There are too sides of the ball. I get that high-powered offenses can be fun to watch but so can suffocating defenses. I'll take a smash mouth, every possession counts, field position is critical game over a trade TDs every possession game any day. Anyone who thinks LSU's running game yesterday was "kindergarten football" is an ignorant fan. That was grown man football. I'll take LSU and Alabama's style of play over A&Ms every Saturday of the year.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Good job on the report. How good is AJ? Not as bad as we saw yesterday, he still needs work and coaching under Cam, an that will come. Spring practice starts in around 90 days, yep that soon. So this one doesn't bother me. I also see another kid coming in for the Spring, he can run with the best of them, an has an arm that can make the throws needed in college to move the ball and spread the field. I like where we are on the OL for next year, WR and TE will be the three deepest positions along with QB. RB will get major help from this recruiting class.

On the other side of the ball, I said from the start, teams better get their shots in on Chief this year, cause its one of the few. The play of White, RR and the incoming class of DB's looks to be set for years. DE will be in great shape. DT has a bunch of RS players ready to fight for playing time. LB will be deep, count on the top LB in the nation getting a shot early, too much size, speed and things you can't coach with him to have him sit. He has the college size and speed, won't take Chief long to get him into the mix early.

The punter had one of his best games ever. Kicking is more mental, the staff has been working on this one and the bowl prep seems to have helped him more than any player, an a good Spring can only add to this.

Many complain cause we haven't won a bowl game, we win the game an people still complain. It's a new year, I'm one happy guy. I like the direction this team will be taking in the Spring. The verbals today is a start, might not get them all, but I know one thing. The staff has players ready to fill a spot if we don't get a player. An you always want players that want to be at LSU.

Sorry, a little long winded again.

As long as Les has Cam and Chief, I like our chances.

VampMuse, Winston1, StaceyO and 2 others like this.