Grades for the Mississippi State game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 21, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well I'm not advocating Les Miles' firing. I just pointed out he did a piss poor job this week, both in preparation and game management. In fact, you can easily argue this was the worst coaching job of his career at LSU. We were embarrassed at home on Saturday night against a team we were supposed to beat comfortably (see 10 point vegas spread).

GregLSU, LaSalleAve and COTiger like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This and January of 2012 our coach we had a day drooler for a coach.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was not one of Les' best nights for sure, but it was far better than the 2011 BCS debacle. We staged a comeback, lost by less than a touchdown, and had a shot to win at the end.

In all fairness about half the pre-game predictions were for a State upset. Many of them mentioned our issues at quarterback and the one-dimensional running game as reasons.

Hard to imagine anyone thinking of LSU as a power running team right now. Not until they get the offensive line problem fixed.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Maybe not, but it wasn't far from being as bad. This was Miss State at home not national champion Alabama and the score doesn't come close to telling the story of how big a beat down the game was.

islstl and COTiger like this.
  5. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

This is a rebuilding year except for OL. We will only benefit from rebuilding that. That being said, who on this team has veteran leadership and fire? No one. I think Cam is a guy who can coach offense in the pros. College football is just much different today than ever before. We are not keeping up. The recruiting...The current size and speed of LSU screams spread. As yukkie as that sounds, college football has evolved. Hell, even Nicky has evolved with it. Sometimes players don't execute. Buuuuuut they are not being put into the proper formations and schemes to use their talents to pull it off. There is not a shred of mystery to LSU, not ONE SHRED. This always puts the players at a disadvantage. The goal line stand fiasco was just one example. Personally, I would give Brandon Harris the reigns. Let him season up. Based upon what happened with MSU, there is painfully little to lose by doing this. TAMU, Alabama, maybe even Florida will pummel this team if the predictability does not change. On the other hand, if we come out and break tendencies, look out.

GregLSU likes this.
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You don't have to run a spread offense to be less predictable. Miles philosophy is to disguise NOTHING. Just line up and beat you using what everyone knows is coming. He has enough talent on the team that it usually leads to a win. However it is usually boring, predictable and beatable by good coaching. It does not get the most out of the talent on hand and gives lesser teams a fighting chance. Miles does so many things so very well, but game planning and sideline coaching are not two of them. As good as Miles is at the total job of HC he is also his own worst enemy. I'd love to see what would happen if he worked Sunday through Friday and just stayed home and watched tv on Saturdays.

7. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

I agree with this. I actually like Les. But, the thing that we are discussing here has ALWAYS been my biggest issue with him. I just want to see some mystery. Does not have to be trick plays. Just some variance to the I formation and poor blocking. Every now and again, I see flashes from Fournette. He just needs some blocking. Spread formation, at least SOME of the time, would help.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think what you're getting at is why not throw the ball from run formations and run the ball through passing formations. Maybe throw on first down, take that stupid fake jet sweep quarterback run play and flush it down the fucking toilet, we did it 5 times last night and it didn't work. Use the bubble screen, the underneath wr screen, a fucking slant. You are right there is no mystery to this offense.

ParadiseiNC and GregLSU like this.
  9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

This game was definitely up there in Miles blunders. The BCSCG was definitely up there, especially because of the magnitude. However it was a game we easily could have played our best and still loss to a great Bama team. LSU should not have lost this game or at least not look like a DII team through most of the game. Last years Ole Miss was another game that comes to mind.

I just feel his best days or behind him. The culture of learning is not here. No discipline. Add to that Miles game management is only getting worse instead of improving. He deserves some heat from the AD as does all the coaches for that matter.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I think we need to line up Harris in the shotgun, with Forunette and Hilliard or Williams on either side... it's easy to run or throw out of, and gives Harris more time to see stuff open up, and the blitz if it comes. His legs imo are better than Jennings too.

ParadiseiNC likes this.