Grades for the UL-Monroe Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

QB: C-
    Simply not good enough QB play in preparation for the SEC slate. This has to improve in a hurry. Jennings wants to tuck it in and run with it way too quickly. He needs to be more decisive in making his reads and going to the open man (anticipating some throws would help in this regard). Harris' arm is something to behold. On more than one occasion he turned the wrong way in some simple handoff plays. He's a year away from taking over.

RB: B
    The offensive line was horrid in the first half, but once they started blocking, the running backs did their thing.

WR: C+
    A couple of early drops stymied LSU's offense. Travin Dural is simply a highlight reel for LSU this season.

TE: C-
    Probably being favorable with the grade. It certainly doesn't look like the TE will factor into this offense whatsoever, and that's not good.

OL: C
    A tale of two halves. They played at a near F level in the first half and played like a B+ level in the 2nd half. They need to develop consistency. Again, this simply won't get it done in SEC play.

DL: B
    The defensive line has looked better every week. Still would like to see a more consistent pass rush from the front 4. The run defense looks stout at this point. We'll get a much bigger test next week.

LB: B-
    Nothing special here with this unit but they did their job.

DB: A
    One of the top 5 secondaries in the nation right now.

ST: A
    Keene appears to have solved his issues (at least we can hope so). He had a great night. Overall this was an excellent effort by the special teams and kicking game.

Coaching: B
    Need to work overtime with this offensive line to get more consistent. Same goes for Jennings. He must be more decisive. Team was not flat for the most part, execution was much more the issue.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Pretty good grades, I would agree with everything. Some comments though, DB's are probably the best in the nation. If there is a better group of defensive backs in college football I haven't seen them. Other comment is on the TE's. What's the fucking deal? Why can't we work the tight ends into the gameplan? Do they suck that bad? I just don't get it. And on Jennings, I agree, where is check down Charlie? Also where is the slant or the out? Hell for years all our qb could do was throw a short route, now all ours can do is throw the bomb. Bizarro world.

StaceyO and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I think you are a little harsh on Jennings. He had zero help from the O Line all night. Also several drops of well thrown balls early on certainly affected the rest of the night. Harris is definitely not ready.

I think the grade for the RBs is fair

The OL still underperforms badly. I would give them a C- at best. They did get better on run blocking but were poor to bad on pass blocking.

TEs are just not there at all.

It is hard not to give the D As across the board. They dominated all phases. I like the way they are growing up on the line. Also without Kwon the LBs were stout. The DBs are the best.

I agree with your grades on the rest.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Grades for a scrimmage?

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I agree with Winston on Jennings....even if Cam has him schooled well enough to check down to the 2nd or 3rd guy, he didn't have time to do it tonight.

6. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

I can agree with this, although ... that interception was terrible. Why the fuck would you force into quad coverage?

By the way of note, I know they were ULM, but they did come in with 2nd most sacks in the nation. Even against better competition that says their defensive line isn't as bad as we would expect out of a scrub team.

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

QB: C-
    Missed first half, listened on the radio. Sounded like WRs didn't help and like coaches were reeling in the passing game. Seemed like we were insisting on running against a stacked box. Missed composed Jennings, but I think he'll stay ahead of Harris for a while. Medium range passing? Short range passing? TEs?

RB: B-
    Solid. Wore down ULM despite stacked box. Maybe we used this game as RB practice? Fournette can catch.

WR: C+
    Can't drop so many.

TE: C-
    Who? Is this because QBs are good enough to utilize?

OL: C
    ULM didn't respect our passing attack and we didn't make them. Were we practicing our running game?

DL: A-
    ULM can't run and/or we didn't let them?

LB: B
    Contributed to shut out.

DB: A
    ULM couldn't pass and/or we shut them down.

ST: A
    Booming, well placed kicks. Decent return game (no TOs).

Coaching: B
    Seemed like we were working on the run game against a stacked box. Hope passing game is better than what was on display today. Defense was lean and mean. Looks like last year was an anomaly, at least early.

TigerTap likes this.
  8. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I see very little difference in productivity between Jenkins and Harris .... but I see a huge difference in potential. Harris looks a lot better than Jenkins. I know where I'd put my investment.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

In that case I'd say, "You play like you practice."

shane0911 likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

But Id like to know he compares with Jennings?