Grades for the UL-Monroe Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Re the offensive line -- isn't it possible LSU was playing down to the competition somewhat? That said, actually, ULM was a step up from Sam Houston State. I suppose it's okay to give the other team some credit.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Wow, 3 games in and the wolves are hollering.

I damn sure hope most of you are wrong or it'll be a really bad SEC season.

I've been disappointed in the oline in the first half of two of the games. Then they looked very good in the second half for the most part. We do need to improve this weekend for sure & I think they will. I do have faith in the coaches & players. Hopefully that pans out.

I believe this defense has the chance of becoming really, really good like we were in 2011.

I'd love to see the TE'S get more involved but it isn't a big deal to me if they don't a long as the RB'S take that role.

LF isn't the second coming of Walker, Bo, Peterson, etc. He's the original LF. He is amazingly talented but in his own way, he isn't going to bowl over guys like Walker did, he isn't going to get the pinch on the triple option and make CB'S cringe like Bo did & I doubt he is quite a fast as Adrian. He is more fluid than any of them, has good power and pretty good speed. He has remarkable vision & will make guys miss on many ocassions.

The main thing he will be similar to those guys is just like damn near every RB who ever played the game he will have a bunch of 3 & 4 yard runs but his YPC will be high because of many great runs.

PS Give Grimes a chance.

gyver, TigerTap, ParadiseiNC and 3 others like this.
  3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I think the game against MSU may be a make or break game for the rest of the season. The kids got some experience the last two weeks. Now lets see how it translates into play against a SEC opponent. The last time I looked, we are a 10 point favorite. If was a betting person, I'd be damn tempted to take the Dogs and the points.

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Just a few names you might know: Did you not read this?

He was coached by Andy Reid and Dirk Koetter (Reid was the offensive line coach with Koetter as offensive coordinator).

He spent the next two seasons in the same position under R. C. Slocum at Texas A&M.

Grimes was hired to join his college coach Dirk Koetter at Boise State for the 2000 season, working alongside Dan Hawkins. In his one season at BSU, Grimes’ offensive line helped the Broncos lead the nation in scoring offense and accumulate 175 rushing yards per game. When Koetter was hired as the new head coach at Arizona State after the season, Grimes also left the Broncos to join the Sun Devils program, serving as offensive line coach and running game coordinator. Grimes achieved great success at ASU, with four of his 2001 seniors drafted into the NFL (just the second time that had been done at any school since the NFL adopted the seven-round draft format in 1993). He helped orchestrate a solid rushing attack, tutoring Loren Wade to break the ASU freshman rushing record while leading the Pac-10 in yards per carry.

2004 season, newly promoted head coach Bronco Mendenhall decided to keep Grimes on his staff. His 2006 BYU linemen blocked for the nation's fourth best offense, averaging over 465 yards per game including 141.9 on the ground, and were a large part of the Cougars winning the MWC Championship. BYU finished 11–2 and ranked 15th in the Coaches' Poll.

On January 18, 2009, Grimes was hired by new head coach Gene Chizik to fill the vacant position coaching the offensive line at Auburn University.[1]

After the 2010 season, Grimes was interviewed by Mack Brown to become the new OL coach at the University of Texas where it was reported he would become the highest paid coach at his position in the country.[2] Ultimately, Grimes decided to stay at Auburn.

Remember, he came into La, signed and developed the second player taken in this years NFL Draft, Greg Robinson. Grimes has a NC ring.

I listen to coaches I know, an often ask their opinion of coaching hires. Never had anyone say anything bad about him. One of the better OL Coaches in college football never played the position, he played the safety position in college.

TigerTap, LSUTyga73, Winston1 and 2 others like this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You would have thought we lost those 3 games. Well, the Saints are 0-2, someone needs to be fired.

GregLSU likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Just the usual suspects.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

While I go agree with you that throwing to the running backs would help replace the lack of production from our TEs, this team has shown very little ability to get the ball out to the backs (unless it's Fournette lined up wide, which would not count in that regard).

This team will struggle offensively if we can't throw short to intermediate. We have only really connected in the longish passes, over 15 yards. That's great, cuz it stretches the defense, but that can't be our entire passing offense. Even Mettenberger was very adept at the short passes out into the flat to our backs.

GregLSU likes this.
  8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

These LSU DBs are going to get fed this coming weekend, its going to be fun to see how they handle the MooU passing game. I'm banking on 2 key INTs by this defense.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I predict 150 yards rushing by Prescott and 8 first down conversions with his legs.

It's going to be frustrating to watch.

Oh yeah, almost forgot

LSU 30, Mississippi State 27

Undefeated LSU vs Undefeated Auburn in 3 weeks

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

These DB's have been in the hip pocket of the WR's, not many if any have gotten separation. Corey Raymond has done very well with these kids.

gyver, islstl and GregLSU like this.