Grading The Tigers Performance -2001

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerHou, Oct 29, 2001.

1. TigerHou

TigerHou Freshman

Here's my version of rating the Tigers so far thru the Ole Miss game. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

POSITION / GRADE
    QB C+
    RB B
    TE C
    WR A
    OFF. LINE D-
    DEF. LINE D
    LB B
    DB F
    KICKING GAME C
    COACHING C

OVERALL TEAM C-

2. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

Still too early, but...

...here are a few comments. Rohan is experiencing what I call the Sophmore Slump or second year jinx. Yes he is a senior, but this is only his second year as a starter. He performed some magic for us last year, and he thought it would be all too easy this year. He is learning otherwise. I think there is still hope for him this season, but he needs to calm down, focus on his reads, take what the defense gives him and not try to be a hero on every play. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE SECURE THE BALL. He always waives it around when trying to escape the pocket pressure, gives me a heart attack every time.

Reed, Clayton, Royal, Myers, et. al are very, very impressive. How can say anything else. Everyone knows about Reed, he is certainly no secret, yet he continues to get open and make amazing plays. Clayton is a very impressive young man, we need to remember he was playing in High School last year, so he may drop an occasional ball, but considering he is front of 90,000+ people now that is forgiveable. Myers is steady and consistent, making plays when asked.

I think the defese is improving (believe it or not), my only major concern is the pass rush -- IT MUST IMPROVE if LSU is to make a respectable bowl appearance this year. Of course our LB's are great, but last I checked their are only three of them and eight other guys out there. We need a total effort from the Defense and I think we will get it.

If freakin' Toefield could stay at 100% for a whole season we would've beat Ole Miss for sure and I think UT for the sole reason that we would have kept the Kelly Williams guy off the field. Oh well, GET HEALTHY TOE WE NEED YOU.

Kickers...ahh who am I kidding, I could care less about the kicking game.

Time will tell how everything pans out, but hopefully we will end the season 8-3, or maybe 7-4.

3. TigerHou

TigerHou Freshman

Room For Improvement Almost Everywhere

Davey? He's history. Time to look to the future. We can't afford to go into next year without an experienced QB. Start him against Bama, but make sure Mauck gets plenty of playing time in the rest of the games, let him play entire Middle Tennessee. Our only strengths are at WR with Reed and Clayton. Both lines are sub par, RB's are ok when healthy, except Henderson who fumbles in key situations - great speed but can't hold on to the ball. DB's are still pathetic. How do you explain the Ole Miss TE wide open on he pass to the 1 yard line and Flowers having a hay day? Oh yeah, 4th and 10 and they get 17 in the air! Kickers? You better care about them. Good kickoff man never lets the other team start past the 20, and how many games are lost on missed field goals or extra points? A good punter helps you win the war of field position. Here are my grades for the team thru Ole Miss:

QB = C+
    Off. Line = D
    RB = B
    TE = C
    WR = A
    DEF. LINE = D
    LB = B
    DB =F
    KICKERS = C
    COACHING = C

4. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

How can you change your ratings without another game, did you get to attend a practice????

I care about the kicking game, but it just kills me to see games come down to a freakin' kicker. They don't play, they don't tackle (usually), they don't sweat, and they wear funny shoes. I hate kickers. I will admit it is important, but dang it I don't have to like kickers.

I give our team currently a C+ with room to improve. Here is why:

1958 11-0 = A+

1992 2-9 = F

This years Tigers figure to end up somewhere around 7-4 or 6-5. An outside shot at 8-3 would certainly warrant a higher grade than C+. So currently I have them with a C+, but here is where I put pending the end of the season:

6-5 = C+
    7-4 = B-
    8-3 = A- (all three losses came to highly ranked teams)

5. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

I think our major failure against the Rebs was on the offensive line. They looked like a very poorly coached unit. They were letting people run by them all night long without even touching them. This is what made Rohan look so confused. It will be hard to win games with the OL playing like this. I know the talent is there. Coach Yarno will have to be replaced if he can't do a better job of getting these guys playing up to a much higher level.

6. msully

msully Founding Member

how you-all are football is just around the cprner Geaux Tigers

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Quite an interesting thread started and opinionated by what looks to be an absolute idiot. Don't let him coach any flag football teams they'll never finish a game.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Am I in a time warp??

9. msully

msully Founding Member

WOW !!!

This is listed in MSN Search LOL

GEAUX TIGERS