Grammy's...anyone watch?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by DRC, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

"Lyrical Gangstas"

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

all rap is bad, i understand it, i used to listen to it, and looking back on it i have no idea how i did, im not saying those guys arent great at selling a product, im saying that they have no artistic merit. they arent musicians, anyone can work an 808 or drum machine. then get up and just rhyme? Most of the time the rhyme isnt even off the top of the head? Do the stanky leg??? Thats art?? Soulja Boy??? Thats art??? come on man, that **** is stupid. Have you ever seen a death metal guitarist shred, that **** takes talent, or a death metal drummer speed drum? takes talent. You dont have to have a shred of talent to be a rapper.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You have to have talent to be good at anything. It doesn't mean that it will be appreciated by those who don't listen to it.

There is good and bad in every genre and we all favor the genres that we listen to the most. Most rap sounds like a kindergarten rhythm band to me, but I have heard some rap that was music, some toe-tappers, in fact. Most death metal sounds like feedback from a double-stack Marshall inside a dumpster to me, but I've heard some that are genuine rockers.

As long as there are categories to separate styles, I don't see a problem at the Grammys.

What I don't understand is why cheesy pop, soul, rap, folk, and blues artists are getting into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thats your opinion and not a good one imo. I never said I was a fan of Soilder Boy and other crap like that. Most of the rap I listen to are the greats to me, who have talent. If its so easy, I havent seen your album in the store lately. The rappers I listen to and call the greats are Jay-Z, Nas, 2Pac, Notorious Big, Rakim, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg and a few more. There is a difference and these guys have talent, 3 out of those ones I named never wrote a rap down. Novelist have talent of storytelling, some of the rappers I named are great story tellers they just do it to music.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Here you go LaSalle, figured Id annoy you a little bit. lol

Jay-Z -Song Cry
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_JShSIf6es[/MEDIA]

LL Cool J-I Need Love
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECTv2J-S07g[/MEDIA]

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lets throw some rap together and hear whiteys rhythm. not quite as easy as it seems. thats why they are good.

pretty good stuff there.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Metallica= whatever. Two awards for their last load and they have been raking in the same thing since they got robbed by Jethro Tull. Well now everyone else is getting robbed by them. I used to respect them in my youth but aging gracefully for them has been misled by plastic management and front page MTV. Props to Rick Ruben for making them not worse then what could have been.

I like and still respect Robert Trujillo as he at least adds a positive to the trio but I have lost all hope for Lars and his paper clip collection. Just please don't talk anymore dude.

The legitimacy of the Grammy's is lost with just this small example. Everything else is just window dressing for what ain't.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I will concede that some of these rappers have talent. Its not easy to tell a story in rhyme especially winging it. However, just because they can tell a story in monotone over music doesnt make them musicians. Musicians spend years perfecting their craft. Not that some rappers dont but very few can play an instrument, even fewer can read music and most cant sing. IMHO, that is what defines a musician.

Rappin is difficult. I've tried it and I cant do it. Making backing tracks for rap though is not difficult. Its all canned loops and computer generated. Still doesnt make the guys who tell stories over a music backing track musicians.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

lol, ok, my album drops next month fooo. Fa sho, once i getz minez you gone be all up on deez nutz fa realz doh. Im gone have mo papa than kinkos ya dig.

actually me and some friends of mine did a spoof a few years ago all original music that we produced you can check it out if you like www.myspace.com/threewognight we did all 4 songs one night while we were stoned.

i respect your opinion i really do, im just a music nazi.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not sure what Tirk was listening to, I thought Plant sounded as good as he ever has. It's almost as if he took voice lessons in preparation for this album.

I had never heard anything from this album of Plant/Krauss, but it sounded like a pretty damn good collaboration.