Great quotes from Iowa DE Roth in an article...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TSdude, Jan 31, 2005.

1. foreverlsu

foreverlsu Founding Member

These iowa fans are really true fans that understand the game!:wink:

2. lsujay

lsujay Founding Member

Hawker45... are you PapaHawk?

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

No... don't know who papahawk is...??? (so, I don't even know if this is a compliment or not.....

4. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

Nobody plulled your chain, so yhy the attack on LSU! nobody went after PSU?

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Aaaah... a mere kitten... a tiger/lion-wannabe... attacks. (meow)

Although your defense kept you in some games (and was arguable the best defense we saw all year).... your Galen Hall offense can be counted on to do it's non-offensive thing.

A kitten with kahunas, rather odd combination...

6. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

Hawker...that was not ment at you. they pulled the post i was referting to.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I understand.... I was also posting against the now missing Paterno post.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I see where there could be confusion off both our posts.

We call Penn State.... the kittens.

9. lsujay

lsujay Founding Member

Hawker45... I was at the Marriot partying with Hawk fans on Dec 31 and after the game, so I was asking if you were one of the people... PapaHawk's son runs the HawkeyeNation.com site and that's the old guys screen name on that site. He was great old guy before and after the game, but after I returned home I went to the site expecting to see some positive posts and saw a lot of negative talk about LSU... I never went back and I'm not saying Papahawk had negative posts, but the site really turned me off of Hawkeye fans. It put a nail in the coffin once I read about Roth's 'two words' speech.
    The Hawk fans really made the trip a memorable one, but I was turned off when I returned home.
    I also talked to the guy that runs Hawkeye Nation a lot (papahawk's son) and he was a great guy to talk sports with...

10. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

LSUjay, thanks for your post.

I know "of" the guys that run HawkeyeNation. Unfortunately, we've gotten our share of new fans/posters due to our recent success. Hopefully, this new group will either blend in or move on over time. They can be quite obnoxious with their "we're so great attitude". There has always been a fringe element on most of the forums... comes with the territory, I guess.

Most Hawkeye fans have a deep love for their state and the University. The campus at Iowa is beautiful, probably ranking with Wisconsin's as the best in the Big Ten. Most Iowans are very realistic, knowing each planted crop is somehow different from the prior years.... as it is with each football team. There is a respect for the soil that can be transferred into a similar respect for any and all opponents.
    Most Hawkeye fans have been around long enough to know we are historically part of the "little eight", not the "big two". Getting thumped through the years by Michigan and Ohio State allows one to develop a certain amount of humility. Most Hawkeye fans see the football season as part of the celebration after a successful harvest. Going to a bowl, any bowl in a warmer climate, is part of the yearly reward.
    Now, under Ferentz, we are quickly moving to another level. It brings with it a new type of fan. NO ONE is complaining, mind you, but some of the things that make us good fans could be changing. If we can now challenge for a national championship and still keep our senses about us, all is well. If not, it will have been hardly worth the ride.